App to record sexual consent in the blockchain will be used to discredit sexual assault survivors

That’s why there is a “revoke” button that notifies the other part.
Just check that both (or whatever that is) parties have signal, and always check for remaining battery charge.

1 Like

I guess what bothers me there is the entire premise is then based on a very unequal party system, in which one party is master of the tea. You can model negative behavior on it, but I’m not seeing a positive model, unless you accept the initial inequality. Perhaps you could say then, you got a coupon for free tea together, and the other person chose green tea despite you only liking black tea, which you brew together, and you give green tea another shot, and find you still don’t like it despite the other person’s freakish obsession with it… The positive model would then be, first finding a tea you both like and enjoying it together. Maybe it’s not so bad, and I do like the concept of there being a wide variety of tea, with some people condemning different kinds of tea.

2 Likes

But, but… no one here criticized juries or the judicial system; every comment I read had something to do with the faulty-ass logic of a “consent app.”

6 Likes

Is it wrong to hope this will curb their chances at reproducing?

2 Likes

The only “human right” that hinges on the jury system is the right to trial by jury. There are plenty of functioning states with legal systems that either do not have juries, or do not rely on juries to the extent that the U.S. and other anglophone common law nations do.

4 Likes

Cock-Blockchain

1 Like
6 Likes

Didn’t we all?

4 Likes

Johnny Rotten is a tory sellout!

(Just had to get that out there)

5 Likes

­Tru dat.

2 Likes

Hang on, so you’re going to end up with a public blockchain record of all your sexual partners, date-stamped?

Dis gonna be good!

8 Likes

anyone who thinks written proof of consent should exist is not comfortable with other people changing their minds.

A sane person, male or female, is primarily concerned with not getting sexually assaulted - and not with having sufficient evidence just in case someone tries to play nasty post-coital tricksies on them

That’s because sexual assault happens all the time, to men and women. That other thing, that’s very nearly but not entirely a fantasy. It’s statistically a non-event relative to sexual assault.

4 Likes

I get the point, and it’s ridiculous, this idea. Plain stupid.

If I “consent to sex” and someone starts sticking a cactus up my bum, that’s not gonna work.

We can break this down into fine distinctions, but the flip side is it’s a judgement call in subtle cases. And an angry associate of someone they perceive has been raped will take action into their own hands - was reading last week about a son who’s uncle had raped his mother (or something) and still showed up to family gatherings. The son attacked him.

Human patience has limits.

1 Like

I’m not sure if that’s a great analogy. With multiplayer board games (not sure about cooperative boardgames), I consider it good form to finish it, even if I’m not really enjoying myself that much, because dropping out will ruin other people’s fun.

Maybe that attitude is the problem in sexual encounters.

2 Likes

I’d modify that so that if it was a Libertarian-capitalist proposing an exciting new technology containing blockchain then it would return true.

(I’m assuming a Lib-cap is behind this, it fits perfectly with their collective modus operandi)

3 Likes

Like consider other ‘better’ analogies to tea?

You want to nitpick the analogy? I think you’ve maybe missed the entire point, like profoundly.

It’s comments like that that that contribute to the unhealthy attitudes we as a society have towards sex and virginity. Virginity as something precious was (is) taken to pathological extremes, but the opposite, that virginity is something that must be gotten rid of in order to be a functional member of society, is just as wonky.

4 Likes

Well, someone joked that nobody who thinks this specific app is a good idea is ever going to use it. I can see that. :slight_smile:

But honestly, I don’t think “Blockchain” as a technology is useful for anything. Except maybe to namedrop to customers who’re caught by the buzz, when you’re trying to sell them something actually useful. Say you build their software with a “Blockchain-like” technology, and keep your source code in Git.

Or say that you’re using a “non-distributed blockchain”, otherwise known as a “database”.

Fair enough. The proponent of blockchain to record and prove content may or may not be virgins, I should not have taken that shortcut to actually state that they obviously have little experience of actual interactions between adults.

To your other comment: our society’s attitude to sexuality as a whole is pathological, not just about virginity.

2 Likes

I’ve named my unicorn “Blockchain”

2 Likes