App to record sexual consent in the blockchain will be used to discredit sexual assault survivors

It’s useful in a very limited number of circumstances. The trade-off between distrust in the integrity of a third-party ledger on the one hand and the currently high cost and friction of appending an entry to the blockchain on the other hand would have to be very compelling. There are such cases, but this app isn’t one of them and (unless one is a criminal) Bitcoin isn’t one either.

2 Likes

This is so gross. Even fringe activities like BDSM are ultimately grounded in interpersonal trust. The whole point of a public blockchain to record transactions is ultimately a way of making workable mutual agreements in the absence of trust. One cannot possibly substitute for the other.

Here is an excellent, simple, clear analogy for explaining “consent.” I hope it gains all the exposure and currency that it can, because I think it stands a better-than-average chance of persuading those who need some illumination:

The first thing you need to understand about consent is that consent is not, strictly speaking, a thing. Not in the same way that teleportation isn’t a thing. Consent is not a thing because it is not an item, nor a possession. Consent is not an object you can hold in your hand. It is not a gift that can be given and then rudely requisitioned. Consent is a state of being. Giving someone your consent — sexually, politically, socially — is a little like giving them your attention. It’s a continuous process. It’s an interaction between two human creatures. I believe that a great many men and boys don’t understand this. I believe that lack of understanding is causing unspeakable trauma for women, men, and everyone else who is sick of how much human sexuality still hurts.

– The Horizon of Desire, Laurie Penny

12 Likes

I mean, if you are having an honest conversation, I don’t see how one wouldn’t say that’s true. Of course, obsessing over finishing is also a serious problem. Seriously, who finishes all their games of Risk?

Well, that’s absolutely true. And that speaks volumes about the party that would use this kind of app.

But shouldn’t people be allowed to do what they want with their bodies – even if that means using an app to hammer out whatever they think is “consent”.

This is a freakin’ brilliant definition, and I have to concur; most people just don’t seem to get it.

6 Likes

Not if “whatever they think is ‘consent’” isn’t actually consent, especially in situations where limits to consent can be tested on a minute-by-minute basis and can’t be covered by a blanket contract (a sex worker would never enter into that kind of contract, formal or informal). See also @Heraclito’s point above about being able to sign oneself into slavery on the basis of the libertarian principle of “shouldn’t people be allowed to do what they want with their bodies?” – doing that is illegal for very good reasons including potential for abuse.

5 Likes

I absolutely agree with this, it couldn’t be more true.

8 Likes

Well, listen, that’s a solid argument, but I have to admit that I do have a libertarian streak I suppose, and while I agree on the slavery matter, I’m not sure I want the state telling me what I can and can’t “consent” to with my body, especially in the bedroom.

@Heraclito makes a good point about slavery, and that’s the argument that the state then does get to put certain constraints, and I obviously agree with the prohibition of involuntary servitude – but on the other hand, if I voluntarily want to be someone’s slave, isn’t that my business?

I mean, if we’re using a de-facto analogy to accurately describe a scenario to teach some kind of lesson, it would probably help if it’s less dumb and condescending as though we were talking to 5 year olds. But I guess perhaps that tea is the golden analogy.

I don’t know what this meme means?

Voluntary or involuntary doesn’t matter in this instance, which is why @Heraclito and others aren’t bothering to make the distinction.

6 Likes

Haha… well, I see a big distinction between voluntary and involuntary.

Good Nic Cage usage.

Until your putative “owner” seeks to enforce a contract of involuntary servitude in a court of law in a place where I live. Then it is my business. Otherwise, feel free to indulge in S&M games to your libido’s content.

8 Likes

Especially not in the case of something that is flagrantly against the law.

Slavery isn’t legal, so it doesn’t matter if someone ‘voluntarily’ wants to be one or not.

7 Likes

consent isn’t defined by majority, democracy, intimidation, semantics, guilt, or force

Is it?

Your attempts appear to be towards an objective rule for subjective experience, and GOOD LUCK WITH THAT

Hey, look, here’s a story about someone choosing to do what he wanted with his body. Freedom!

7 Likes

Wish I could say I was surprised, but alas; very little surprises me anymore.

Also, that’s the premise behind a novel I read not too long ago:

2 Likes

Hahaha.

I’ve thought about this, I figure I’m pretty delicious.

Oh boy, I was kinda hoping someone would cite the german dick eater, thanks!

5 Likes