Apple CEO Tim Cook, America's greatest cryptofreedom warrior

[Read the post]

4 Likes

man, i’ll bet this news really confuses cory, who hates apple’s walled garden ‘dictatorship,’ but loves encryption… what to do, what to do.

2 Likes

Gee its almost like Cory can acknowledge when Apple’s doing something right, in addition to doing things wrong.

6 Likes

H[quote=“Drew_G, post:3, topic:72086, full:true”]
Gee its almost like Cory can acknowledge when Apple’s doing something right, in addition to doing things wrong.
[/quote]

[citation needed]

…Besides, Xeni posted this.

4 Likes

Let’s be fair, currency conversions and decimal places confuse Cory. :wink:

1 Like

Also, big corporate interests telling government what to do is totally fine as long as you agree with them.

It’s good when you and only you have the crypto keys to your stuff.
It’s bad when the corporation has the crypto keys to your stuff.
it’s especially bad when the corporation has the crypto keys to your stuff and refuses to give the to you, the owner (aka the walled garden, aka a prison with flowers).

3 Likes

Cook and Apple just want to sell more phones. They’ll never have to deal with terrorism or nation security threats, not even from terrorists who use their encrypted devices to communicate and coordinate activities…which has occurred.

[citation needed]

Also, the worst murderers are governments, both directly by wars and indirectly by various policies. Terrorists are piddly amateurs in comparison, unworthy of any degree of actual fear.

6 Likes

Welcome to Boing Boing, and thank you for joining just to share your expertise on this important matter.

4 Likes

With governments, you don’t have much a choice (Kang vs Kodos, if any). With corporations you sometimes have some options, especially in global settings; you have more chance getting at least a few of your interests fought for, and a powerful ally, even if in just a single cause, can be quite better than nothing. And you can (sometimes) vote with your money. With a government the elections are once per blue moon and the choices are often disturbingly similar; with Cisco vs Juniper (vs Huawei vs some other third party vs homebrew) or Samsung vs LG vs Xiaomi vs others, the “election” is every purchase time and the results aren’t winner-takes-all but a direct contribution to a more proportional, less unbalanced system.

So the corporations are at least a little motivated, sometimes, to kick for your interests.

So, I’d say this one cause is fine with me. Lesser evil, etc. But it’s case by case and watch them carefully.

2 Likes

Wow. So democracy is a lost cause, and your alternative for getting my voice heard is to buy expensive Apple gameboy-phones so that I can threaten to stop buying them at some point, thus ensuring that Tim Cook will act in my interests.

Supposing I don’t have the money to “vote”?

You have a pretty fucked up definition of “fine”.

1 Like

You work with the planet you got, not with the planet you want.

Don’t let the corporation know. Make them hope, make them target you, compete for you with other ones.

1 Like

You’ve got a pretty fucked up definition of “work” too, if you think buying/not buying/pretending to think about buying luxury electronics counts.

What happens if you want something that no corporation would want? Like, proportional representation?

It counts in some cases, not in all.

Then you are on your own.

You can take a ride when your and their interests collide. It’s foolish to think it can be done in all cases, about as foolish as refusing the chance when it happens.

1 Like

Possibly a silly question, but could the government not just order these companies to add a backdoor, and then put a gag order on them, so they can’t tell anyone? (which I imagine would incur a very lengthy ‘set an example’ prison sentence for anybody that leaked it, as well as substantial company fines). It’s not as if they’ve not gagged companies before.

Of course, I’m sure that if they wanted to get a gag order in the open, Apple could hire somebody that’s willing to take the prison sentence, in return for a REALLY well paid job, when they’re released - it’s not as if Apple are short of money, and any fine would be a drop in the ocean for them.

So you’re “taking a ride,” while I’m “refusing the chance,” is that correct? You might need to define those terms too because from where I’m sitting it looks like we’re both doing roughly the same thing: Fuck all, while our decisions are made for us.

You too, you know. You shouldn’t fool yourself with some token bullshit about consumer activism.

Doesn’t fit my observation.

With companies, I have no choice. If I don’t like one aspect of the product they are selling me, I have to do without the product (or buy an inferior product from a different company) in order to make them feel that I’m not happy.
That’s like saying, if you don’t like your government, move elsewhere. This is why a large part of the “plutocratic electorate” will just pick the better product and not the company they prefer politically.

I might cheer for a company that happens to support my interests in the same way that a thousand years ago, I would have cheered for a feudal lord who supported my interests. I still prefer democracy, to both feudalism and plutocracy.

Yes, which is why some companies (including Apple) use “warrant canaries”. They include a line in their annual reports saying “we have never been secretly told by the government to do X”, and then if that line disappears one year you know that they have been made to do X. It’s an open question whether this works, and in what countries, because of course the government may be able to order them to lie about that too, and companies may or may not have the will / resources / wherewithal to fight that legally.

They actually don’t do this with encryption backdoors, though, because it’s not hard for the internet community to find out how products work and whether they use either explicit backdoors or cryptographic algorithms (like Dual_EC) that are suspected to have been compromised. And of course, with mature products, it would be obvious and suspicious if their security arrangements suddenly changed in an otherwise inexplicable way.

2 Likes

True that. Or you can hack the missing feature in yourself, if it is easy enough.

It’s easier to buy a different suboptimal choice of the suboptimal offers than to leave one’s social networks and other investments and relocate.

Did the former, considered the latter enough to have an idea about the sacrifices, doesn’t compare.

That’s a good comparison.

If you can find some, let me know.

Not at all. We are Arguing On The Internet. It must be a highly efficient, high-impact thing to do, given its prevalence and the Rational Actors assumption of economic theories.