Apple cider vinegar isn't the cure-all it's cracked up to be

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/16/apple-cider-vinegar-isnt-the-cure-all-its-cracked-up-to-be.html

4 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

Still tasty in cooking, though!

17 Likes

Love it as a condiment for stuff like fries. Really enjoy using it on the rare occasions I make boiled cabbage.

10 Likes

Ann Reardon covered this in one of her “How to Cook That” food science videos.

“The current thought is that it is stopping the enzymes that are in your saliva in your mouth from starting to break down and digest any of the starch that is in the bread or whatever food you’re having so then it doesn’t start being digested until it gets to your stomach so that’s just slowing the whole thing down allowing that graph to slow down but it does work as long as you’re not having something that has glucose in it it’s going to have no effect on that.”

6 Likes

But it makes wonderful fruit fly (or gnat) traps! No need to shell out for specialty pest control products.

All you need is apple cider vinegar (the store brand is fine; you don’t need what’s pictured in the OP). Liquid dish soap (any brand). A jar (or as many as are needed), rubber band(s), and cling wrap/film.

Fill jar(s) with about 1 to 1½ inches of vinegar. Stir in one drop of the dish soap. Cover with cling wrap and secure it with a rubber band. Poke holes in the film. Place trap(s) where the fruit flies are seen most frequently. Take glee in the body count (optional).

Because you’re trying to break the breeding cycle, this will take time, but it works.

14 Likes

So much for catching more flies with honey!

8 Likes

@vermes82

1 Like

Indeed. The AC vinegar has a distinctly sweet smell which draws the little buggers to the trap & the soap breaks the surface tension so they won’t float on the liquid; they sink immediately.

4 Likes

I don’t know, it worked wonders for my munchausen syndrome. /s

8 Likes

What I am missing is why it has to be apple cider vinegar, as I tend to have red wine vinegar and aceto balsamico in my pantry. I try not to buy too many specialty vinegars nowadays.

2 Likes

It’s almost like apple cider vinegar can draw in stupid, easily led creatures who are lured by its sweet promises.

10 Likes

I do that too, but add a piece of fruit. It’s supposedly an additional attractant, but I don’t know for sure if that really works any better.

5 Likes

I’d never heard or read about adding fruit. If you find it works for you, awesome! I find the simplicity of these traps to be appealing.

2 Likes

Apples, on other hand, are pretty good for you in their native state.

9 Likes

As someone with a serious, chronic medical bowel issue whose gut microbiome had almost certainly suffered as a result (and which may have been a factor in ongoing troubles), consuming a daily home-made pickle and also a fews sips of the pickle juice (vinegar and a little sugar) as well as a daily spoonful of natural live yoghurt, has without doubt had a beneficial effect. Certain types of gut bacteria specifically need these sorts of foods to thrive and contribute to the healthy balance of microbiota in the gut.

3 Likes

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Always the best option, and a salad will help with weight loss and T2D as well!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.