Apple iPhone XR: A Closer First Look [PHOTOS]

What do you want for it?

I guess it looks nice, too bad it doesn’t have a real operating system tho.

1 Like

It’s sometimes annoying but not a deal breaker. I mostly wish that the whole top edge was just black with white text on either end. You learn to ignore it after a while. It’s still a big compromise that Steve Jobs would have never tolerated.

I find the lack of home button far more obnoxious. The home “bar” appears and disappears at random and moves places when you’re in landscape vs portrait. I wish I could make it go away completely.

1 Like

iPhone 4 dates back to 2010. In computer years it is a Neanderthal caveman.

I’m holding out for an iPhone SE/30.

4 Likes

That would be the beige model with a monochrome screen and 40 or 80gb of storage.

1 Like

The vast majority of Apple products have always been incremental improvements, which is why your list contains 4 (I would say 2) revolutionary products rather than 40. Most of the time when Steve Jobs did these events, he was announcing a new version of QuickTime or a 2mm-thinner MacBook; it’s just that you only remember the big launches.

The same editing process makes it feel like Jobs-era Apple was far more surefooted than was really the case. Because the iPhone is continuously refined (rather than throwing everything out the window in a radical redesign every year), we don’t even notice the evolution, so that it kind of feels like you remember Jobs unveiling the current iPhone in 2007, not the comparatively crappy thing he actually showed.

IMO Apple is doing what it does as well as it ever has, at least in terms of the iPhone. It is very Jobsian to make fine details into headline news. If they never again release another Mac or iPhone, I guess it’ll mean their golden age is behind them, but even just keeping a good product good is far beyond what most companies are capable of.

1 Like

Oh hell, I forgot about the lack of home button. Having used an iPad extensively (typing this on one) you forget how versatile it is.

The lack of a home button most of the time isn’t a really big deal as far as usability goes. It works just fine for the most part. Some things are a bit more fiddly – forced reboots and screenshots for instance.

The only really irritating thing to me is I can’t make the “hint” for the home bar permanently go away (which sucks when you’re using an app that’s not “enlightened” to this and doesn’t send the hook to make it disappear), and I wish it would always work when I swipe up from the physical bottom side of the phone rather than contextually moving based on how the phone is oriented.

The gesture itself is fine – I’ve been using “swipe up” on my iPad ever since iOS 10 came out and added the new dock.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.