Apple to unveil a wearable device, iPhone 6, and 'a whole lot more' Tue. Sep. 9, 10am PT

I wouldn’t have a clue, I was being snarky :slight_smile:

1 Like

So have wrist watches. And even digital watches.

the iPod was the first in its class that didn’t totally suck. the same could be argued for the iPhone, even though i prefer Android. and Mac OS X is still the only Unix-like OS in the world that doesn’t make me want to smash my head against a wall. you don’t have to use the “DRMED UP THE ASS” software if you don’t want to, and it is still (for now) up to the developers. almost all of the apps i use on Mac OS X are Free Software.

an iWatch doesn’t sound that appealing to me; i don’t think the technology is there for a gadgety watch to do anything meaningful. still, we’ll see. i’d personally be happy to see Apple smacked down a few pegs. they turn into total assholes when they get any significant market share. the golden years were, like, 2003-2008 or so.

1 Like

i’m pretty excited to see what new devices other people will be able to afford…

6 Likes

Apparently it so blew my mind, that it totally erased itself from my memory. The last thing I remember from Apple was that phone that didn’t work if you failed to hold it “correctly”.

1 Like

Some ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

8 Likes

These are good products, hating the crazy hype and crying about marketing and priorities doesn’t make them less so. For better or worse, internet-in-our-pockets is the finest 21st century future tech we got so far (no hover boards, sorry), and people love that stuff.

Dude, I could care less. You would appear to be the one in a lather. I do not happen to agree that consumer electronics are worthy of -that- level of enmity. And I only respond to say so because you wrote that to me. I can taste the sourness of the grapes from here!! Please have a better day!!

edit: and a clarkson

1 Like

When iFloss comes out, they will be!

Thanks for the reminder that this is Avoid The Internet Day.

1 Like

Talk like an 'irate day.

5 Likes

Who says they are not? You just have to read the right news sources.

Yeah, yeah…sure.

Hey aren’t you one of the people camped outside the Manhattan Apple store right now? Hah. Busted!

Some of us, such as endurance athletes who have spent oh so many years trying to get Garmin’s solutions to actually live up to their potential, are hoping someone is finally about to release something that actually meets our needs.

As have smart watches at this point. One was even kick started a while back, or so I heard.

In your opinion, of course. To me, Apple’s products have been going down hill for almost a decade, as has their software quality. To me iOS is frustrating to use, as it feels like I’m in a straightjacket (a highly fashionable one, perhaps). To me, I have no need more more disposable technology, which Apple is the king of.

The only things Apple has going for it, in my opinion, is awesome 3rd party support in both iOS and OS X, and a unified front in hardware and software (which is good for the consumer, but bad for everyone in the long run).

To me Apple fans remind me of a girl I once knew with a Nike tattoo. It is really sad when some bit of your identity is tied to corporate branding.

1 Like

I’ve been an Apple customer since 1990. I stuck with the Mac when everyone else was abandoning it. But in recent years, Apple has abandoned me and the other serious users and free software developers. The Mac has been made a disposable appliance with soldered-in RAM and proprietary flash disks, the OS has been steadily locked down more and more and the GPL free software purged, and Apple has transitioned from a computer company to a locked-down cellphone company that also makes computers as a sideline.

(That’s all Steve’s doing. He wanted the original Mac to be a closed appliance; it became an open system because he got kicked out and the engineers were allowed to make decisions. When he came back, he set things back on the proprietary appliance path.)

I chose Android for my phone and tablet, because I consider it unacceptable that someone else should get to dictate what software runs on my personal computing devices. (Yes, I have totally unlocked Nexus devices for both.)

I also got rid of my iPods because I was fed up with dealing with three different incompatible cables and an increasingly awful iTunes full of app store crap that was of no use to me, and now have an MP3 player I can just drag files to.

Which means that pretty much everything Apple has announced for the new OS X is of absolutely no use to me.

Their apps have been getting worse too. They’ve killed Aperture. They didn’t bother with backwards compatibility for iWork, so I’m not willing to risk using that for anything serious:

Plus it can’t even read and write ODF files, which are the standard at work.

So I’m grouchy because I’m preappointed. It’s like being disappointed, except you get it before the event.

What makes it worse is that the media will act like Apple has invented NFC, mobile phone payments and gadget wristwatches, and that none of those things could possibly have worked otherwise – even though I’ve been using my phone as a wallet for over a year.

3 Likes

Of course it’s my opinion. I don’t see you ending every sentence with ‘in my opinion’ and yet it’s magically understood by everyone else.

I don’t know what 2004-era Apple products you imagine had better hardware AND software than today, but I can tell from personal experience their computers are better built from stronger materials and last longer than before and longer than most of the competition, if ‘disposable’ is your complaint.

But have fun being right if that’s your thing.

I am still bothered by the OS update that permanently disabled my ‘superdrive’.

Ah. I think you believed me to be asking you what you had against apple. Fair enough. Sounds personal.

I was wondering why these threads are so attractive for the complaining.