Apple TV has a 3-hour director's cut of the horror movie Midsommar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/05/apple-tv-has-a-3-hour-director.html

2 Likes

So I kind of dig “the occult” (an understatement) and like creepy movies, at times. Should I just dive in and buy this on Apple TV so I can get this cut? Several people who know me IRL have stroooongly recommended this movie to me.

2 Likes

Yes, I recommend it!

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s a great film - but given the title, I just can’t over my disappointment that it’s not set in the home counties and that it doesn’t star John Nettles.

Midsomer murders (Wikipedia)

3 Likes

Um, yes, it is really good. Way better than Hereditary. Im going back to the multiplex to watch this version while it is still playing.

2 Likes

Wait, Apple has this available already? I thought the VOD release wasn’t for another month or so.

1 Like

Ah, they are accepting pre-orders – Apple TV says it’s out 9/24.

1 Like

Exclusive releases disgust me. Guess I’ll be settling for the standard version for a good long while.

2 Likes

I hate exclusive releases too, that’s why when things like this happens I resort to the good old Freebooter Body of Water Forming an Indentation of the Shoreline, Larger than a Cove but Smaller than a Gulf.

2 Likes

vpxzrtkezwxgqrar1kzy

2 Likes

I’m slightly confused – it seems like people are saying “Apple TV” (the box) but meaning “the iTunes Store”? Or are they now calling the (forthcoming) Netflix-like service “Apple TV”? beh

Anyway, I think I might like this film but as a superfan of the 1973 Wicker Man I have been burned before by this kind of comparison.

1 Like

I loved the original cut of this film, and unfortunately wasn’t able to see the director’s cut when it was released last week in theaters around here (NYC). So this is…sort of awesome? I haven’t used iTunes in at least a decade, and I can’t say I have missed it. Perhaps it’ll just add another element of horror to the experience.

EDIT: Okay, it turns out that there’s conflicting information about whether it will be an AppleTV exclusive, but for now it appears it will not: https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/midsommars-directors-cut-to-be-apple-tv-exclusive-it-seems/

1 Like

Like the remake of said film.

The film is horrifying enough. I hope that extra hour is just all maypole dancing.

1 Like

As I understand it, it’s an iTunes Store exclusive. But in about two weeks, “iTunes” (the software) is being replaced by the “TV” app, which means that in a brilliant stroke of naming, we will soon have a service called Apple TV (maybe?) as well as a physical device called an AppleTV. Plus a streaming service that, for all I know, will also be called Apple TV, to make things even more confusing.

Well, it’s only 24 minutes longer (171 mins vs the original 143 mins). From what I’ve read, a great deal of that is taken by added conversations and character development, but there’s supposedly an additional ritual added that’s played more as a laugh than for added terror.

Yeah, I was thinking that would probably be something I’d have to check out at some point if the buzz around this version got really loud and nothing changed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.