Appliance that makes tortillas from Keurig-like pods

Yikes, that’s expensive.

Over here in the post-Brexit desolation, the we have a similar problem. Corn Tortillas are not widely available at all. The wheat flour ones are everywhere, and they’re what most people would think of when talking about tortillas, due to their ubiquity. Therefore the corn ones are rare, and fresh corn ones are rarer still.

The machine is still a bad idea, though.

3 Likes

what happens to the “pods” when you are done? more landfill. for ONE freaking tortilla.

this is a horrible idea.

7 Likes

They are definitely less tasty than freshly made. Or, maybe it’s not even the flavor as much as the texture. Anything in a grocery store is going to be past its peak and will break when you bend it. A properly fresh tortilla will bend.

1 Like

In NZ a lot of them are called “wraps” rather than tortillas. Do you get that in the UK?

1 Like

If it’s not made by a sweating woman with her hip joints wearing out from kneeling over a metata, it’s not an authentic corn tortilla.

5 Likes

Don’t give the hipsters any more ideas

10 Likes

Authentic tortillas are ~12cm across and fairly thick. They’re not like the big thin wraps for sandwiches

1 Like

That’s it- the two terms are just used interchangeably, which must annoy the purists.

4 Likes

That depends on what kind of tortillas you’re talking about. When i lived in Mexico, the tortilleria near me made corn tortillas that were about as this as those in most US grocery stores.

3 Likes

We carry everything in US stores, especially now that flatbread is more popular. If someone sent me to the store to get tortillas, I’d have to ask them to be more specific.

1 Like

I was pretty surprised at how easy it is. With a bag of maseca, they are as easy as making pancakes from pancake mix. Only additional step is making the balls and flattening (which, honestly, doesn’t require any additional equipment, if you’re not worried about perfection in the shape and thickness. You can just flatten them in your palms)

My mother-in-law’s method also involves adding a bit of milk (don’t recall if it was in addition or instead of the water) and throwing a bunch of cheese into the mix. Yum!

4 Likes

Are we perhaps talking about something different? The tortillas I’m thinking of are floppy as beagle ears.

and how do you like your coffee?

11 Likes

Maybe. I’m thinking of grocery store corn tortillas in a place without a lot of Latinos, so they are not that fresh. Personally I’m not fond of the flour ones, unless they are whole wheat.

1 Like

in America, first you get the sugar. then you get more sugar. then you get the cheap Mexican sugar.

4 Likes

he was analyzing the marketing target, which as we know has nothing to do with actual people. or even much of any objective reality.

1 Like

Hot, black and bitter, just like my women. *

Those are probably not tortillas. They’ve probably not even got any nixtamalized maize in 'em.
Wheat tortillas are heresy. Those giant ziggurats in central America are for tearing out the hearts of wheat tortilla eaters and offering them to Huitzapoctle.

* OK not really but how could I resist a setup like that? I’m not made of stone!

4 Likes

I think Leslie Jones got something to say to that…

9 Likes

Sorry, I was looking for “stuffed in a burlap sack and slung on the back of a donkey.”

5 Likes