Appliance that makes tortillas from Keurig-like pods

I don’t know about you all, but I’d much rather have El Machino

God damnit, now I want Chevy’s… and the two that were in Washington closed down a few years ago. :cry:

6 Likes

Well, I learned how to say ‘tortilla.’

I think.

2 Likes

Little known fact, the authentic pronunciation is tar-tie-lah.

3 Likes

Seriously, the worst.

1 Like
5 Likes

I stand corrected, it has two uses.

3 Likes

Thank you for following “Chevy’s” with “Washington”. The further North you are, the more slack we can give you.

4 Likes

It’s very hard to find passable Tex-Mex in WA so you really have to cut me some slack here. :slight_smile:

That said I do have a soft spot for Chevy’s. I grew up in the Bay Area and I lived close to #1 for a while so there’s definitely some nostalgia at play as well.

2 Likes

When I was last in the Bay Area I was 4 blocks from a taqueria that had rotisserie chickens you could smell from 2 blocks away. I may be biased. :wink:

3 Likes

They have one of those at Central Market in Shoreline.

2 Likes

Our local taqueria had one of these monsters right next to the cash register. (I think it was the only place there was space for it.)

I’m pretty sure they supplied other restaurants. They closed, and now I’ve got to travel at least 40 minutes to get a decent taco if I don’t make it myself. :frowning:

3 Likes

Do they have an option for more DRM? I’m not satisfied with only one stage.

4 Likes

Speaking of, do you remember those one-use cookers that used two prongs that basically sent 10 amps through the hot dog? They work as foot-warmers too.

2 Likes

True Kansans pronounce it Chi- powl- tee.

2 Likes

And are under some sort of delusion that store-bought tortillas are less healthy.

2 Likes

We’ve got a “Molino Del Oro” around the corner, and you don’t know delicious until you’ve gotten an entire bag of tortillas that’s still piping hot and steaming up the bag. Like leavened bread, there’s something magical that leaves once it cools down (though they’re still pretty good even when they’ve cooled as long as they’re fresh).

yUmmm… Fresh tortillas and some mole chicken… (homer simpson drooling noise!)

4 Likes

I envy you Americans your tortillas. In New Zealand they cost about $5 for a bag of six and you’ve got to go out of your way to find corn ones. I’ve never seen them in my supermarket.

5 Likes

I smell an entrepreneurial opportunity…

5 Likes

If the demand is high enough.

2 Likes

They’re really dead simple to make. I haven’t taken the time to try my hand at it yet but the various recipes i’ve looked at make it seem fool-proof and the ingredients are fairly common.

1 Like