Arachnothread

Aranea cavatica, I believe, spotted on my way to work. I always love finding them because, well, y’know, Charlotte’s Web. Tell me I’m not the only one who wished the pig died and the spider lived.

6 Likes

I know some arachnophiliacs who absolutely fit the term.

Although they’d probably say they’re into monstergirls, not spider chimeras specifically. I’m sure there are plenty of vorophiles with a focus on spiders.

3 Likes

Spoiler alert!

2 Likes

Can y’all help me identify this lady? She’s an orb weaver approximately half an inch long. I thought she might be a species of Nephila but we aren’t supposed to have those in Tennessee.

3 Likes

Go to Reddit and post on /r/whatsthisbug (and/or /r/spiderbro) with the pic and your location. I can guarantee you’ll get an answer.

3 Likes

Google says spider. Helpfull huh.

4 Likes

Possiblly.

3 Likes

I thought you were heading for one of main characters being offered a promotion to middle management.

Damnit, I kinda want to see that now.

2 Likes

Oh, that would be excellent. Hadn’t thought of that. Imagine the existential dread of seeing a looming promotion that’s actually more akin to stepping on the conveyor belt to oblivion.

And since nobody ever comments on it (but everyone subconsciously recognizes it), the dread would be palpable, bringing gloom onto everyone throughout the office, with the “Good Luck Larry” party being more of a wake.

One of the things I appreciate about Better Off Ted is that it utilized many of my favorite semi-surreal office jokes, but by no means all (or even most) of them. They tapped a rich vein.

3 Likes

And they had a dalek in their basement storage area. It was a SF show that didn’t know it was a SF show.

4 Likes

Probably the safest thing in veridian dynamics.

3 Likes

If you do ever decide to brush it off and get it made, let me know. It kind of hits close to home for my friends and I and I’m sure we’d get a serious kick out of it. One bit of advice if you do: Don’t let it get too dark. I (and I suspect too many others) already actually lived it.

3 Likes

Today I spotted a huge spider on a screen off to the side of the house. Pretty sure she’s an Argiope aurantia. She’s got a huge web - happy to see her doing her work out there.

7 Likes

This huge cross orb weaver lived in my stairwell for nearly a year until they did pressure washing on my building and she left. I called her Lucy.

Josephine lived nearby. I watched her grow up. She left soon after Lucy. Here’s a young and older picture of her:

All were taken with my phone so I did the best I could with the pictures. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I briefly saw a tiny Oreo man riding a beetle horse flexing his huge arms at us, and now I can’t unsee it.

8 Likes

First photo in the Science News email newsletter today, a jumping spider:

6 Likes

Odd timing for this thread to be revived: I had a dream last night that I found an adorable white spider with antelope antlers. I’m thinking of getting some Super Sculpey and recreating it.

5 Likes

From Nasa Giphy page.

10 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 206 days. New replies are no longer allowed.