Archaeologists unearth 2000-year-old marble head of Augustus Caesar

Originally published at: Archaeologists unearth 2000-year-old marble head of Augustus Caesar | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Was it still talking?

12 Likes

So the biggest story here is that there are at least a couple of zombies on the loose.

14 Likes

“He ruled the Empire with an iron hand, and a marble head.”

13 Likes

The head is currently being studied

Just to be clear, we’re not talking about the maritime kind of head, right?

12 Likes

Coool.
From that HBO show Rome, he seemed like an interesting historical figure. Wanted to read up on him…

3 Likes

A marble head in a velvet balaclava?

3 Likes

If you liked Rome and can tolerate 70’s BBC level production values, I strongly suggest you see “I, Claudius”.

BRIAN BLESSED!!! plays Augustus at the tail end of his reign.

17 Likes

-“Pizza, Pizza”

4 Likes

Thank you!
I mean, I appreciated Red Dwarf production values! Creative constraint wins all.

6 Likes

It has a cast to die for. Including Patrick Stewart with flowing curly locks of hair. Probably glued on.

21 Likes

I love these shows as a pair because they tell mostly the same story in different ways; one impresses with lots of background details, smart multi-leveled character choices, and is a lavish, sensuous production; the other gives an equal punch with nothing more than great writing and acting.

6 Likes

Gorilla glue?

1 Like

The weird part of Rome is one presumes the main characters Vorenus and Pullo are fictional, created for the show. But in fact they came out of Julius Caesar’s account The Gallic Wars (which still may be largely fiction).

8 Likes

I took an Old English course in university, and it’s mostly battle poetry and religious stories. One story was about an abbey that was sacked by the “Flotmen” (Vikings). Some of the monks escaped, but the abbot was beheaded by the raiders, and his head thrown into the forest. When the monks returned, they set about trying to reunite the head with the body, for burial, but had no idea where it had been tossed. The abbot had been a saintly man, however and I guess some miraculous powers were conferred on him, so they finally found the head because it was shouting “Over here, ya idjits! Over here!”

13 Likes

I’ve even read the Comentarii (granted it was in about 1984) and didn’t know about that until reading an article after I had watched the show. Really cool detail.

3 Likes

So we continued digging with precision trowels

With what now? Either they have some strange new excavation technology I’ve never heard of or something got lost in translation.

2 Likes

Always the missing nose…

1 Like

Yes. It said, “Salad, please. Hold the dressing.”

3 Likes

A 3000 year old marble head of Augustus would be much more interesting.

3 Likes