Archaeologists unearth 2000-year-old marble head of Augustus Caesar

Especially since he died only 2000 years ago.

Ya, I had the impression the discovery was by a worker restoring a wall, but another article indicated the man, Francesco Giancola, was an archeologist.

1 Like

Note the word “archeologici”

Or perhaps he was referring to dental picks.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Actually Italians would almost certainly use a Battiferro trowel, not a WHS (although you correctly picked a larger blade size than the standard WHS, which is probably what would be preferred in Italy).

My point being that that’s just what we call a trowel. The word precision trowel doesn’t exist in the field archaeology vernacular. They were probably talking about a leaf and square but those are not called precision trowels. That just sounds funny to me

ETA: I see @timd has found a leaf and square that’s called a precision trowel. That is still a funny, non-standard usage, though

4 Likes

I can’t find my copy right now, but it has a section on the sources, the biases, inaccuracies…

1 Like

Yes, the names (and their action in the first episode) are notable for being the only lower rank people named by Julius. I loved the series, perhaps because its credo was “authentic over accurate”, going more for letting us see social mores and the different parts of life in Rome, even if it meant moving events by a few years. They poured a lot into making life for both the rich and for the plebes understandable. How did Rome look before Augustus and his successors worked so hard to remake it? What did a middle class Roman household eat? Little things like that.

4 Likes

Stories like this make me think someday they’ll find the Venus de Milos missing arms and there will be a long debate about whether they should be reattached or not.

2 Likes

John Milius never was one to skimp on research. He went out of his way to put in the little details about everyday Roman life. His commentary on the DVD release of Rome is virtually all talk of graffiti, soldier’s porridge, Roman lawyers…

3 Likes

Why am I picturing they were making some obscene gesture?

1 Like

Now if they can just find the rest of the statue that would be magical.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.