Archaeology Today

They specialize in miniature books.

https://archives.libraries.rutgers.edu/repositories/11/archival_objects/23170

2 Likes

that’s right. i knew them when they opened their shop in Seattle. i taught her papermaking and helped them move a vandercook press in 90?, 92? she taught me bookbinding. i still cant do those miniature books, though.

9 Likes

Also a comedy

by

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks for this link! I hadn’t heard of her work. A colleague and I had been tossing around the idea of team-teaching a course on “Wicked Women.” We’d do weekly exploration of “good trouble” women, from Zheng Yi Sao to Rosa Parks and beyond. This series sounds great!

5 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes
Grave goods Sex
Sword Male
Mirror Female
Both Divide by zero

Female warriors? Inconceivable!

Tooth evidence isn’t the whole story, as discussed above, but it’s better than grave good guesswork.

7 Likes

Time Team just launched a new YouTube series covering recent archeology news, concentrated mostly on discoveries in the UK and Europe.

7 Likes

Ahhhh back when cults were more simple.

4 Likes

Several archaeologists and academics have voiced vociferous objections to the notion of removing the Megiddo Mosaic from where it was found — and all the more so to exhibit it at the Museum of the Bible.

Cavan Concannon, a religion professor at the University of Southern California, said the museum acts as a “right-wing Christian nationalist Bible machine” with links to “other institutions that promote white evangelical, Christian nationalism, Christian Zionist forms.”

“My worry is that this mosaic will lose its actual historical context and be given an ideological context that continues to help the museum tell its story,” he said.

11 Likes

A new study of ancient DNA extracted from Ötzi’s pelvis suggests he still has some secrets to give up. The analysis of his genetic makeup has revealed the 5,300-year-old mummy had dark skin and dark eyes — and was likely bald. This stands in contrast to the reconstruction of Ötzi that depicts a pale-skinned man with a full head of hair and a beard.

10 Likes
10 Likes

oh, dear. there it is.
the answer to “what could make the unimaginable stench of ancient Rome worse?”

5 Likes
6 Likes

(I must have linked to a playlist because it keeps changing the video. This is the video for the archeology news.)

2 Likes
2 Likes

Apparently, leopards were not originally limited to faces.

6 Likes

Maybe he’s holding his intestines in because the leopards tore him up?

ef7fc684-5d24-416b-b342-20acb2aef074_text

1 Like

6 Likes

Atlantian central air conditioning.

3 Likes