Japanese scientists investigate the mysteries of Stone Age tools

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/28/japanese-scientists-investigate-the-mysteries-of-stone-age-tools.html

4 Likes
8 Likes

Am I correct that the photo was mislabeled as “weapons” instead of “tools?” I ask because I’ve seen these objects being used for subsistence agriculture, just with iron heads instead of stone.

5 Likes

Oh, absolutely. These are axes and adzes. While the axe could probably serve as a weapon, the adze is definitely only a tool.

Disclaimer: the neolithic is outside my immediate area of expertise

It is hard to tell from the photo, as well, but it looks like the right-most tool might actually be made from bronze, as well, just going by the form.

5 Likes

Maybe ancient people gave names to especially revered farming implements as if they were legendary swords, like “Earthbreaker” and “Oatslayer.”

4 Likes

When we feel especially silly, we call our rabbit “Dandelion’s Bane” or “Kale Slayer.” Also fitting names for legendary Neolithic farming tools!

4 Likes

You mean building replicas and playing with them isn’t scientifical? tophat-biggrin

2 Likes

I’m saying it is! It’s a lot of fun, too.

But my point was that it’s a common technique, nothing revolutionary, like the article makes it sound.

2 Likes

Ah. Gotcha. Well, good!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.