Archaeology Today

Heat sink for an Atlantian super computer?

2 Likes
6 Likes

New Time Team News.

4 Likes

You would hope that that sort of thing would have given us an ingrained, lasting sense that all human life is precious.

3 Likes
13 Likes

This is amazing. A new teaching tool! Thanks for sharing this.

4 Likes

gift link

Obviously this has been covered – somewhat poorly-- in the past. (All I want is a DOI, is that so hard? Something I can paste in a scary paper piracy site
)

But given that this is a times story the reportage is wordier, and has more detail

The woman and child do not qualify as vampires, said Martyn Rady, a historian at University College London. Vampires, he noted, are a specific type of revenant; their characteristics were first defined in the 1720s by Austrian Hapsburg officials, who came across suspected vampires in what is now northern Serbia and wrote reports that ended up in the medical journals of the time.

“They were quite clear that, in popular local legend, the vampire had three characteristics: It was a revenant, feasted on the living and was contagious,” Dr. Rady said. The Austrian definition shaped literary vampire mythology.

Polish legends feature two types of revenants. The upiór, which was later superseded by “wampir,” is similar to the cinematic Dracula, embodied by Bela Lugosi. The strzyga was more like a witch — “that is, in the old fairy-tale sense, a malevolent female spirit or demon that preys upon humans, may eat them or drink their blood,” Al Ridenour, a Los Angeles-based folklorist, said. In PieƄ, locals sometimes refer to the sickle woman as a strzyga, a wraith typically born with two souls. “The malevolent soul can’t find rest in the grave, so it rises and wreaks havoc,” Mr. Ridenour said.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Very cool. A reminder, though:

were excavated in Egypt at the end of the nineteenth century. That information comes from the (where they are housed, in) the Victoria and Albert Museum,

7 Likes

Ancient Aliens!

7 Likes

Big bird after a tragic construction accident.

6 Likes

Cool! But also: you can tell the one on the left has molded to the foot of the person wearing it. But that one on the right? Eeeeee

4 Likes

Read a cool article re: Ancient Egyptian socks ages ago, and it included a pic of a pair of aMAZing Greco-Roman period kids’ socks. They had color blocks, and thin and wideish stripes, all in still-blindingly bright neon colors!

Since childhood I’ve wondered what it would be like to jump into a time machine and visit the Ancient Egyptians. Knowing how much they loved bright colors, I figured I’d make a lot of friends were I to arrive bearing lotsa neon/fluorescent stuff like cloth/es, curly-toed slippers from India w/neon embroidery, paints & cosmetics of varying types, etc. And wearing my silver Anubis pendant, of course. tophat-wink

ETA:
This is probably the article, from the same site! tophat-biggrin beer

Not as bright as I recall, tho. I’ll keep looking.

ETA again:

Their pic’s way brighter
and doesn’t appear in the one box. Pfui.

5 Likes

I wonder if it’s possible to extract DNA, especially of foot fungus and things like that. The socks have probably been handled too much. But it would be fascinating to see.

3 Likes

Roman foot fungus, what’s not to like.
Something, something, mens sana
 And yeah, that was more of a plea than a praise, originally.

4 Likes

knittinghistory

A c.1000-1200 CE example of an Egyptian cotton sock.

14 Likes
8 Likes

Probably a bit overpowering in a sealed tomb, but that would probably be the least of your worries.

6 Likes

Scientists at the University of Aberystwyth dated the structure to at least 476,000 years old, from long before Homo sapiens are thought to have emerged about 300,000 years ago. The structure may be the work of Homo heidelbergensis , a predecessor of modern humans that lived in the region.

10 Likes

More and more “This characteristic that defines ‘human’,” doesn’t define “human.” I love it!

7 Likes