Are all Republicans neo-Nazis?

There are state and local elections this year is some places. VA being one. While hardly representative of the nation as a whole, the off-off year elections often give an early clue as to the fortunes of the parties. We can’t afford to sit back and bask in our glories.

10 Likes

Those who fund, support and enable the fascists are, for want of a better term, fascists. If they don’t want to be associated with the various flavors of white supremacy embodied by the Republican Party, they could leave. But they won’t. Because they are.

Copying my own post from well upstream, but applies here. If you are throwing your support to the fascists, whether you personally identify as fascist is not up for debate. It does not matter to the victims. At all.

19 Likes

They just support, fund, and vote for a party that’s capitulated to fascists. They’re “Good Germans” or kapos at best (which, to be clear, isn’t good or excusable in the least). At a certain point, we have to acknowledge that the Julius Goat quote above applies; we’ve reached that point in the U.S.

13 Likes

It’s incredibly important to check the political affiliation of the mob coming at you before you give your permission for them to kick the shit out of you.

13 Likes

“How dare you call us neo-Nazis?! We’re just violent white supremacists who engage in leader worship!”

18 Likes

I don’t get how people can be so anti-semiotic, the signs are all there!

17 Likes

I was much more inclined to at least somewhat agree with your stance before the most recent vote to remove MTG from her committee appointment.

The fact that only 11 of the 210 elected officials in her party voted to take a tr0ller of school shooting victims off the education committee leads me to believe that maybe not ALL Republicans are neonazis, but at least 96% are, and I’m okay with rounding up at this point.
If they have principles, they should probably switch affiliations ASAP.

18 Likes

“If those are not vegan leather boots, Gary, I swear to God I will turn this pogrom around right now!”

14 Likes

this seems like the place to mention this:
republican votes to remove liz cheney from her leadership position–61

republican votes to remove marjorie taylor greene from her committees–11

21 Likes

You laugh, but…

See also…

16 Likes

Interesting Times indeed.

There isn’t a better time for Nazi jokes. As long as they’re against the Nazis and their ilk.

13 Likes

9 Likes

I meant a vote by the public in an election, not a vote by the Reps already in the House — although I heard polling data yesterday evening on CNN that seems to indicate Republican voters do indeed support Greene, right now, by a very large majority. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah, I realized as I posted I was conflating the actions of elected officials with actions of the voters who support them, but…to echo all the other well-stated points already written here, it seems disingenuous to separate the two.
It sucks. I don’t want to think of my fellow citizens that way, but it’s harder and harder not to, without feeling like my own morals are slipping.
“May you live in interesting times.”

9 Likes

:smile: :grin: :laughing: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Do you know and interact with many people who tend to vote Republican? I know enough in real life to know they’re not all neo-Nazi white power fascists — even if they do support that system with their votes. I for one am comingfortable disambiguating the two, party and voters, but I do agree that there’s no reason for the patience and benefit of the doubt to extend any lengthy period. I do expect the GOP to continue to bleed voters in the places one would expect, as Trump’s own support polls post-election do seem to indicate. The GOP is in a process of either fracturing or total perversion right now, and it’s tough to say where all the pieces will land. But I do know that not all of the voters are sticking with it, and to honor that decision and give it support, I feel calling them all Nazis is both inaccurate and not-helpful during this intermediary phase. We’ll know where things are heading with the Republican Party proper after the 2022 primaries.

4 Likes

“On Instagram, where she has 28,000 followers, she refers to herself as a “bringer of light,” a variation on “lightworker,” nomenclature that’s associated with QAnon, the baseless conspiracy theory about the existence of a Deep State child sex trafficking ring run by leftists; the term is meant to connote someone who brings light to darkness, or draws awareness to evils lurking in dark corners.”

“Lightbringer” or “Lightbearer.” AKA Lucifer. Coincidence? You decide!

11 Likes

A meaningless distinction. You are who you support. Ignorance and apathy are no excuse either.

Edit: I’ll acknowledge that many Republican voters don’t see themselves that way, but we all see ourselves as the hero of our own story.

10 Likes

Yes, and I totally feel discomfort calling them neonazis, too. But I think I need to stop thinking of neonazis as people wearing swastikas and joining the Proud Boys, and think of all the people who are willing to sit at the table with those people. Those are the current Repubs.

And I know that there are certain districts (or have been) where a specific repub pol was principled, so voting for them shouldn’t paint you with that brush. But the fact is that right now, the party establishment has basically thrown their support behind the racists, the pedophiles, and the neonazis, either by abdication or outright support.

Personally, I’m not going to tell my neighbor he’s a neonazi, but I’ll know it, and I’ll gauge his behavior accordingly. Because it can be a dangerously comfortable creep into evil.

12 Likes

I agree mostly, politically, but I also think this statement is a bit too black and white. By this logic, since you also vote with your dollars, if you eat at McDonalds, you are in favor of denuding the rainforests. If you buy clothes at Walmart, you are supportive of union busting, child labor, infringements of human rights, and massive pollution.
I don’t do either of those things, but I also think a lot of people who do aren’t necessarily in favor of the destruction they are reaping. They are unaware.
I don’t mean it as an excuse, but I can get why someone might want a more nuanced conversation of this touchy subject, and this is (usually) a good place to be able to find some of that nuance.

5 Likes