Are electronic toothbrushes worth it?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/03/are-electronic-toothbrushes-wo.html

My N=1 story is that if I’m using an electric toothbrush: my mouth feels a lot cleaner when I wake up and my gum pocket readings are lower. $270 is probably more than I spend on brushing in a decade though.

5 Likes

Electric toothbrushes are 100% worth it.
Electronic toothbrushes with all sorts of fancy bells and whistles are very much a matter of diminishing returns, and if you’re paying more than about £50 you’re probably wasting your money.

(Oops, that wasn’t meant to be a reply.)

20 Likes

How much of the benefit over trad brushes can be attributed to compliance?

2 Likes

I’ve used a $45 Oral B electric toothbrush for a couple years now. I like it. Not sure if it’s better but my teeth seem whiter.

2 Likes

Totally agree and want to echo this. Just get one that does the deep clean, fast moving/vibrating head. It will not only get in there, but will keep you honest with how long you are brushing.

As I have recounted before, I have had a 180 change in gum health thanks to new tools - a Sonicare brush and a Waterpik. I had a spin brush before this, but the upgrade is so much better.

Specifically as you get older, gum and tooth health is linked to heart health. So don’t skimp on self care. Your dentist might have a free sample, or coupons to help you out.

8 Likes

Exactly. I think the only electronics that make sense in a tooth brush is the circuitry to recharge the batteries.

5 Likes

So lack of good nutrition has nothing to do with it? FFS! Providing K2 D3 and magnesium is more important than any amount of brushing.

The dentists leave me with the impression that my severe recession and multiple gum graft surgeries can be ascribed to years of exposure to an improperly-wielded manual toothbrush.

3 Likes

Same situation here. Luckily the grafts have been more-or-less successful. Did you ever have extreme orthodontic work? Apparently that can be a contributor, too.

1 Like

Ummmm you should have a balanced diet, but if you think the critters living in your mouth care one way or another you’re mistaken. A minimum proper brushing is needed to maintain care.

3 Likes

So you’re saying that water has nothing to do with it? FFS! If people don’t get any water, they will die, which makes it more important than K2 D3* or any amount of brushing.

*I think you sunk my battleship?

3 Likes

My dentist noticed the difference when I switched to an electric toothbrush. I didn’t even have to mention it. That’s what sold it for me.

2 Likes

Well water is fine and all, but try going a day with no sun in the sky! With out the sun we would be a frozen snow ball devoid of life!

1 Like

I’ll echo the sentiment that they’re decent when you suck at your brushing technique. I think the biggest factor though is the fact the brushing action is timed so you know you’re doing enough coverage for each part of the mouth at that point (barring not getting near the rear molars) which is what I attribute to my improved dental health.

No, I ended up getting Invisalign well after the surgeries were done with. (And no regrets there.)

1 Like

I can’t believe you’re pretending that we should just ignore the strong nuclear force. So excuse me Mr. City Slicker, but I prefer my quarks contained in hadron particles and my atomic nuclei intact.

5 Likes

My dentist attributes mine to genetics and lack of regular flossing. YMMV

Electric toothbrushes help me in two useful ways:

1 - they make me actually brush for two minutes. I was terrible at timing myself before, or making sure that two minutes was spent equally around my mouth
2 - they let me know if I am brushing too hard. Given the feedback when I first switched to an electric one, I clearly was brushing too hard before.

So, even if the “electric” activity of the brush itself is of negligible benefit, the change to my brushing habits alone was totally worth the $60 for the brush.

5 Likes

I’ve used manual toothbrushes for 50 years and electronic for 2… manual toothbrushes suck.

1 Like