Are mobile phones actually making young people's skulls develop 'hornlike spikes'?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/20/are-mobile-phones-actually-mak.html

Protect your ‘text neck’

1 Like

At least they can claim a deferment when drafted to Vietnam.

19 Likes

Last week: are TVs are making kids blind?
Last month: are books deforming the human form?

19 Likes

Where is my unicorn horn?

13 Likes

time traveler!!!

14 Likes

Evangelical Christians: obviously this is the “mark of the beast” mentioned in the Book of Revelations.

7 Likes

large

13 Likes

[shudder]

3 Likes

I saw this report the other day…

A very similar bump runs in my family. I’ve had that since I can remember (ie before cell phones). One of my cousins had to have her’s filed down because it stuck out far enough to bother her. .

3 Likes

Are we sure they aren’t just using too many cosplayers on TikTok as their sample population?

1 Like

Meh, young people have always been horny…

:laughing:

9 Likes

Why would this be a thing for people using smartphones to text, etc. but not avid readers? I read a lot more than I text, but don’t have any bumps on the back of my head that i didn’t start with.

4 Likes

Still waiting for modern technology to give me some kind of useful, X-Men style mutation. Horns? No thanks, I’ll hold out for the magnetism and shape-shifting and psychokinesis, than you very much.

4 Likes

“Damn millennials!”

2 Likes

Drafted to Iran that is.

Did anyone else find a different part of the article to be way more striking than a mere possible devil horn outbreak?

“David Shahar, the paper’s first author, a chiropractor who recently completed a PhD in biomechanics at Sunshine Coast.”

You don’t…typically… see ‘chiropractor’ and ‘completed a PhD in biomechanics’ referring to the same person. Especially when the school in question isn’t even an abject diploma mill. Can you even treat subluxations if you get that much science on you?

3 Likes

This is just gonna make it harder for me to talk about my forked tail.

Lot of chiropractors, especially those involved research, regard subluxations as a clumsy model that should be dismissed. Yes, few chiros publish in Nature, and he deserves props.

At best chiropractic is a statistically less effective version of physical therapy. At worst it’s a medical snipehunt.

1 Like