Ariana Grande concert explosions leave scores dead and injured. Manchester police: 'terrorist incident'

What? Explain that please?

2 Likes

Ha! I’m a huge FF dork, and was all “Whaa? Why is Ariana Grande in one of my games?”. Well… after realizing that she can become a pretty powerful mage with all her specialized equipment, and maxed out levels… Ms. Grande now has another fan. Not necessarily of her music, but…

Also, If this turns out to be some sort of terrorist attack, or pretty much anything other than people panicking when something like a transformer blew, F YOU!

Seriously. If your God, or Politics, Or whatever demands that you blow up a bunch of stupid kids and their already suffering parents seeing a music show, then your god is a giant asshole, your politics suck rotten dick on ice, or your whatever should go off and drown in a septic tank.

5 Likes

I was just listening to CNN, and they were getting a report from a local correspondent. He literally (no exaggeration) said how taxis were showing up giving free rides, and local townspeople are offering rooms to people who couldn’t get home. In two sequential comments.

You nailed that one so well, I had to come back here to comment about it.

18 Likes

This is horrible. Ariana Grande has a huge following among young people. Children are among the dead.

This one is really, really bad.

6 Likes

It’s like someone was enamoured with the character Brady Hartsfield from Stephen King’s Mr. Mercedes

1 Like

This is terrible and it only serves to remind me how lucky I am not to living in one of the World’s many destabilied nations; coming under daily attack from enemies both foreign and domestic.

3 Likes

And the fact that it’s a Conservative government, who did actually set up the Falklands war to boost Thatcher’s failing ratings.

(They withdrew all naval patrols from the Falklands and told the Argentine junta, then sat back and waited. Unfortunately the people involved didn’t understand the logistics of such a war (more or less as happened with Iraq). When Carrington realised what had happened, he resigned because he was an honourable person. MI5 must have any number of potential terrorists on the books who just need a bit of prodding to take them over the edge. So yes, conspiracy theory, but one that is not totally incredible.)

[Edit - it seems Daesh are claiming responsibility and being allowed to boast about it on Twitter. It’s the 4th anniversary of the murder of Lee Rigby by a mentally ill man who had been brainwashed by Daesh, so it figures.]

2 Likes

I guess you don’t live in the UK, have no idea of our history, and have equally little idea of how our Conservative Party has maintained its dominance over the years. Or how anxious organisations like Daesh are that we continue to have a repressive government that creates a pool of disaffected young Muslims by repression.

3 Likes

But I don’t think anyone seriously suggested that e.g. the July 7th bombings were due to the Labour government. Did they? Do you?

1 Like

The Labour Party is not the Conservative Party. Also, it does not have the support of the security services, especially MI5. It has no way of mounting false flag operations and when it does try to bend reality those security services are likely to expose it - as with Blair and Iraq.
The Conservatives on the other hand have very deep links to MI5 and SIS, along with the more dubious parts of the Army like the Hereford mob.

Again I think it helps, before posting, to inform yourself on UK history and politics in some depth here.

3 Likes

We’ve had some awful “commentator” (how in fks name the populace give these people credence idk) call for a “Final Solution”.

To use this horrific event as a platform calling for genocide, leveraging the disgusting history of the Nazis, is beyond words.

First victim named is a 16 year old girl, who adored Ariana Grande and had met her previously.

I’m feeling such sorrow, anger and sadness for the victims, and UK society.

11 Likes

I thought the exact same thing when I heard the news. This is right out of the book.

2 Likes

[quote=“Enkita, post:31, topic:101402”]
And the fact that it’s a Conservative government, who did actually set up the Falklands war to boost Thatcher’s failing ratings.[/quote]
This though is beyond the pale even for the Conservative Party. Moreover, while it did an excellent job of taking Theresa May’s press conference meltdown off page 1, it’s not like the Tories have been feeling especially pessimistic about the upcoming election.

1 Like

There’s history and there is tin-foil-hat nonsense. This is not history - Tory or Labour, the civil service is unchanged, the ratio of private school boys (and it’s mostly boys) in all the top jobs, in all areas of government is the same.

Your first mistake is thinking that changing government changes that much.

3 Likes

The police apparently arrested a 23-year-old in Chorlton. That’s where I lived when I was 24. It’s a fairly mixed area, with people from all backgrounds, that has rapidly gentrified in the last 15 years. Its only characteristic, before the hipster wave, was an unusual concentration of care homes and churches (including exotic ones like an Orthodox congregation, and a huge Masonic hall that has since been demolished, I think).

I still hope he’s not a local four-lions type nutter.

EDIT: Guardian reporting that his flat is in a new bloc occupied mostly by refugees. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/may/22/manchester-arena-ariana-grande-concert-explosion-england?page=with:block-592421c9e4b03ddbc8d5c3e6#block-592421c9e4b03ddbc8d5c3e6

3 Likes

Grande has been a follower (practitioner?) of Kabbalah since she was 12. I don’t think it’s accurate to describe that as a Jewish sect, but I assume that’s what the previous commenter was referring to.

2 Likes

What does four lions mean?

11 Likes

Watch the movie Four Lions. It’s a good movie, extremely contemporary and very brave as well as wickedly funny.

5 Likes

I’m not necessarily buying into any conspiracy theory, I just wanted to point out that we currently have a government whose party has been associated with extremely dirty tricks in the past, and so it is not prima facie ridiculous to consider the possibility. The fact that someone else has been arrested so quickly does suggest that whoever was responsible may already have been a target of observation.

Edit - on the well known belief that stupidity trumps conspiracy most of the time, it does look like a monumental failure of the security services, who seem to have thought that the father was one of the fabulous “moderate rebels” who were supposed to be opposing Qadhafi. I thought by now we knew better; obviously not.

3 Likes