Arizona GOP chair tried to bribe Kari Lake to go away. He's resigning now

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/25/arizona-gop-chair-quits-over-tape-of-him-trying-to-bribe-her-to-stay-out-of-senate-race.html

4 Likes

This is the choice in the modern GOP: swivel-eyed lunatics like Lake or corrupt moneyCons like DeWit.

11 Likes

Dewit is claiming they set him up and that the audio was edited to show him in the worse possible light… and that she regularly secretly records conversations for this kind of thing…

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/24/politics/arizona-republican-chairman-resigns-kari-lake/index.html

“This morning, I was determined to fight for my position. However, a few hours ago, I received an ultimatum from Lake’s team: resign today or face the release of a new, more damaging recording. I am truly unsure of its contents, but considering our numerous past open conversations as friends, I have decided not to take the risk. I am resigning as Lake requested, in the hope that she will honor her commitment to cease her attacks, allowing me to return to the business sector — a field I find much more logical and prefer over politics,” DeWit said in the statement.

But this is certainly a case of the GOP eating it’s own here… they party seems to be imploding, and I suspect that if trump is the nominee, and loses to Biden, it WILL implode…

18 Likes

Don’t threaten me with a good time!

14 Likes

Just wondering if there will be a day when the ‘Leopards Eating Human Faces Party’ isn’t relevant.

8 Likes

His statement this morning certainly implies that there are other felonies to be investigated here. I’d wager that the Feds are already there.

10 Likes

I wonder if she has the tape recorder going when she’s around Trump, and what sort of admission would be required to shake the faith of his cult.

7 Likes

To quote Alexandre Duma via Edmond Dantès: “Wait and Hope”

5 Likes

Unless she’s been in private meetings with him, she won’t have anything useful on tape.

Kari Lake also just screwed herself out of the Arizona GOP leadership. No one will trust her again, that’s why he made it blatant why he was resigning. I could be just being hopeful on that, but seems likely.

10 Likes

Can I bribe her to go away?

4 Likes

Maybe, but again, do we really trust Lake here? He seems to be indicating that there is some twisting of whatever they talked about going on?

then again, do we trust either side here?

11 Likes

Did she? Seems like she just became it’s de facto leader.

4 Likes

True, considering that fraudulently lying about elections has been her day job for the last couple years. She may have gained his trust by herself suggesting illegal activities, or even leading to conversations that she might be open to a bribe, but somehow neglecting to record those conversations.

ETA: not that he’s not still culpable, honest people don’t offer bribes, even if solicitated. Both parties in this story are awful.

3 Likes

Yep, which leads me to believe that the worst person here isn’t Dewit, but rather this is doctored audio intended to make him look bad… but then again, what did he think was in the other audio she says she has?

9 Likes

She did not. No one will trust her in private meetings ever again, and nothing gets done without private meetings. Not only that, but she just opened up their entire organization to a federal investigation into bribery charges and/or possible wiretapping (depending on Arizona laws).

5 Likes

Except that this is about exerting pressure to purge the party of the non-Maga GOP… the faithful will back her and those who don’t will get purged out of the party… This isn’t about normal logic, it’s fascist logic. This kind of thing is to be expected, because the fascists believe that all of us are just as untruthworthy as they are…

5 Likes

The whole job of political parties in this country is using money to decide who gets nominated, in backroom deals. I fail to see any laws having been broken. Moral lines crossed for sure, but since when has that been a foul in GOPland.

1 Like

dems have been eating their own on the regular and it hasn’t cratered the party. maybe makes it better.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the same thing at all…

3 Likes

Oh, come on! If I had a nickel for every time a Dem set up another Dem to remove them from their position because the first Dem was being pressured not to run for office because other Dems were worried that the first Dem’s pro-insurrection and election fraud stance was damaging the party or making them unelectable…never mind.

My first reaction to all of this was sort of gleeful because I love it when GQPers fight and everyone comes out looking dirty AF. But your previous comment about fascist logic, and @danimagoo’s about Lake possibly controlling the party in Arizona now has put me right back to being concerned/terrified. I want Lake’s reputation to be destroyed by this. And the GQP in general to collapse because of their turn to fascism. I look forward to being able to celebrate that. But I guess it’s maybe too early to celebrate this one as a win yet.

3 Likes