Arizona high school student's racism even offends Arizona

Sure, blame partially lies with the family they grew up in - but they are also old enough to understand that this is a shitty thing to say (or have a shirt say), even as a joke.

14 Likes

Not to be rude, but those girls look like minors. As much as I donā€™t want to defend obvious racism, I canā€™t help but feel that their faces should be blurred out.

10 Likes

Damn, now I canā€™t stop going through other permutations that are still funny without being racist:

ASS 1S SORE
BEAVER 1S CLEEN
CLEAN YOUR *SS

I mean, what are kids learning these days???

20 Likes

I can agree with this, actually.

6 Likes

Just to be clear, anyone that is OK with punishing these students for the words on their shirt is implicitly OK with giving a high school principal the ability to punish a student because of pic showing them in a shirt supporting marijuana legalization (see Morse v. Frederick, aka ā€œBong hits for Jesusā€) or a shirt with the message ā€œIā€™m a Lesbianā€ (see Briana Popourā€™s suspension from Chesnee High School in SC).

Censorship and punishment for speech is a weapon that can be wielded from many directions. These students might be assholes, but punishing assholes because of their speech is pretty assholish in and of itself.

7 Likes

Iā€™m not a racist, but I like kittens. (This is the silly one)

ā€¦

Wait, I did that wrong. Let me give it another try.

ā€¦

Iā€™m not a racist, but I excuse, agree with, or argue in rhetorical circles about racists. And Iā€™m a white dude with an inferiority complex. (This is the honest to FSM observation)

The phrase ā€œI am not a racist, butā€ is one of the most sadly funny ways to start a sentence.

4 Likes

And those are two different things. Very different in fact.

If you spout bigoted language I canā€™t use the state to remove your liberties. But I also donā€™t have to put up with your ass.

16 Likes

You may be legally right: Iā€™m no 1st Amendment expert, and I donā€™t have the time right now to go rooting through Ken Whiteā€™s excellent blog for posts on it.

But from a philosophical/ethical/moral point of view, this seems more akin to wearing t-shirts that read ā€œKEVIN VANDERBILT IS A FUCKING LOSER AND WE ALL HATE HIMā€: that is, itā€™s a form of bullying.

10 Likes

None of the t-shirts you are pointing out are racist. They may display non-mainstream view points, but none of them are mistreating other students at the school. You may not want to hear that some adherents of Christ think he likes weed, but thatā€™s their deal. No one is being imposed upon. Those shirts are free expression. This t-shirt display, worn by graduating high school seniors, is racism and comes with the bouquet of ill effect on their fellow students.

23 Likes

@ehelldane

Mysterious / sleeper account. Potentially just getting caught up in the whole privacy/blameless notion similar to the Uber attacker story. Line of transgression seems to bisect moral compass points between super-duper-private-transgression-never-equals-any-wrong-doing and vague guilt of previous, private instances of unintentional but never made public racism.

Previous comments seem to indicate ā€˜not a racistā€™ -

Out-of-control Texas cop pulls gun on children - #21 by ehelldane

New Account / Fuckwit

New Account / Fuckwit

But why are they only sending morans?

Oh yeah. All morans.

@Jerry_Vandesic

Sophist. Misapplication of logical extension.
Punishing them by excluding them for a day? For hate speech? Were they specifically targeting people in their class or their school? Deliberately, tangentially? Come on then, letā€™s get stuck in. Your argument so far amounts to ā€˜freeze peachā€™. Iā€™m sure Morseā€™s rights were upheld after a lengthy investigation concluded that Jesusā€™ welfare was not threatened by ā€˜bong hitsā€™ā€¦ or was that not what you meant?

painfully_exaggerated_eye_roll.gif

14 Likes

Except it wasnā€™t, in this instance. It was followed by admitting to having drawn a swastika as a kid without fully understanding and appreciating the context. Thatā€™s hardly a racist statement.

2 Likes

Well said.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Where exactly is the line where the ā€œBong hitsā€ shirt would cross into religious oppression and bullying? And whoā€™s going to decide it?

2 Likes

Oh? How do you know that? Is it because theyā€™re smiling? I understand smiling is the bestest way to ensure that one does not make a public statement or incite anger or make offense.

4 Likes

Jesus could pop out of the clouds for a quick appearance to let us know that bong hits intimidate him?

Although wouldnā€™t all that cloudiness predispose us to thinking that he might not be that intimidated?

And lo, the right hand of Jesus emerged from on high and he said:

#ā€˜Pass the duchy pon the left hand side, my sonā€™.

11 Likes

Look. Itā€™s okay that NR put the beatdown on Clown Trump. No need to lash out.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not saying this would insult Jesus. But it shouldnā€™t be too hard to construct a similar statement really offensive towards Christians (who donā€™t have much to do with Jesus these days, mind you). What then? Suspension?

Iā€™d like to see such a statement which trivialises the persecution and enslavement of generations of people, leading to modern day conditions of societal exclusion, danger of death at the hands of public servants and a prison industrial complex geared toward the continued enslavement of those people in everything but name. Oh and continues to insult and endanger the well being of said people, making them fear for their safety in a public space such as that classroom.

Go on then, this should be good.

ā€˜Ooh, you, dang Christians with your, with your all encompassing cultural institutions and your, prevalent and interfering, dictatorial meddling in every facet of cultural life. Why you RASCALS!ā€™

16 Likes

This may be because you are unclear as regards the difference between racism and a remark one might find offensive.

One is loaded with understood, studied bad repercussions for the victims and our society. The other is a t-shirt.

18 Likes