Arizona is getting screwed on the price of a Big Mac

Originally published at: Arizona getting screwed on the price of a Big Mac

4 Likes
6 Likes

I was driving in our shopping district yesterday and saw a McDonald’s sign for a double cheeseburger and drink for $3.99. It felt like a warning more than an ad.

9 Likes

I have to think this has a big factor… just look at that blotch of red/yellow in the Buffalo NY area… gotta be local taxes driving that.

3 Likes

There’s a simple solution: Don’t eat Big Macs. I think the last time I had one was probably in the mid 1980’s, and I haven’t missed them one bit.

6 Likes

Is more than I would pay; don’t care if they are 3/$1.
Haven’t eaten one in decades & don’t plan to ever darken the door of a McD’s again.

Got a couple of Mom & Pop taquerias nearby, so…

5 Likes

Weren’t we promised a taco truck on every corner?

16 Likes

Along with flying cars & domed cities.

There are several taco trucks in the area. Haven’t been to any of 'em. Yet.
Sounds like an attainable New Year’s Resolution to make.

5 Likes

Which state has the most expensive dollar meal?

2 Likes

I wish we had a taco truck on every corner. Let big mac prices soar. But keep the taco trucks coming!!!

4 Likes

Looks like a reboing.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Thank you for this. :grin:

1 Like

Ya gotta try their Piter de Vries Fries.

3 Likes

I always thought so too. Then one day several BBSers pointed out that if you’re poor enough to be counting calories to make sure you get enough (and lots of people on the BBS have been that poor), then McDonald’s is surprisingly high calories-per-dollar food.

It’s not super-nutritious, but when the super-nutritious food is unaffordable the high-calorie food will keep you alive.

And that’s why the high price of a Big Mac is interesting to me - not because I eat them regularly, but because people who can’t afford much else are being squeezed.

14 Likes

“Nutritious” ends up with a surprisingly slippery meaning, here. If all the micronutrient needs are met, which of these diets has more “nutritious” food: diet A, 2500 kcal/day, or diet B, 3500 kcal/day?

(Part of the problem is “nutritious” ends up being conflated with positive terms like “healthy” or “good”–when the reality is different people of different ages with different lifestyles need different diets. Throw in developed versus developing world, and it gets even more complicated. And pregnancy is a whole 'nother ball of macromolecules.)

4 Likes

the big mac and quarter pounder have terrible cost/calorie ratios. the biggest calorie/dollar items are usually the other sandwiches without name brand recognition and modifications that don’t add cost

The Economist publishes a yearly report on the relative purchasing power of various currencies using the Big Mac prices around the world.

It is less granular but interesting in its own way.

6 Likes

At one point, the $1 McDouble was the single bet calorie-per-dollar deal in the US.

3 Likes

isnt it beautiful, how capitalism offers solutions for the problems capitalism caused? /s

2 Likes