Arkansas House, Senate override Governor Hutchinson’s veto of Anti-Trans bill

Senate vote: 25-8 (75%)
House vote 71-24 (71%)

Those look like supermajorities to me. Sometimes, injustice doesn’t need structural support.

4 Likes

Hey! Whataboutme!

2 Likes

I hope someone points out the price tag for defending this legislation in court to the voters of Arkansas. I’d give this a pretty high chance of being declared unconstitutional, even by the current conservative Supreme Court, if it even makes it that far. I can’t imagine a federal district court or appeals court upholding this. Then again, they could be hoping to make this a test case for overturning Roe v Wade, since that was based on privacy. If this law is upheld, that would be a pretty good signal that the Court would overturn Roe v Wade.

3 Likes

The record will show you marked as “present”.

3 Likes

Always thought it would be cool to go dig quartz crystals in Arkansas, or maybe even try my luck at Crater of Diamonds state park, but much like Utah, this is one state that will never get my $$$.

2 Likes

Great C’thulhu, what a mess! What does that even mean?

“Mr. & Ms. Jenkins, we’re concerned that little Tommy shows no interest in rolling coal or truck nutz. Also, we notice he’s never come to a Friday night football game.”

“Little Annabelle doesn’t wear dresses, and she climbs trees. Climbs trees! She’s never worn pink to school. We’re highly concerned for her well being…”

9 Likes

squeeze the hate out of the white house, and the hate squeezes out of other assholes everywhere.

3 Likes

Yeah, I find it hilarious when this Asa guy is trying to do the whole “Aren’t we supposed to be for small government and keep out of people’s personal lives.” and Tucker gives that confused/constipated look he does.

5 Likes

From here:

(c) If a government agent has knowledge that a minor under its care or supervision has exhibited symptoms of gender dysphoria, gender nonconformity, or otherwise demonstrates a desire to be treated in a manner incongruent with the minor’s sex, the government agent or entity with knowledge of that circumstance shall immediately notify, in writing, each of the minor’s parents, guardians, or custodians. The notice shall describe all of the relevant circumstances with reasonable specificity.

Madness!

7 Likes

I thought the only direction was up, but the previous four years of this country demonstrated remarkable enthusiasm for bedrock excavation.

1 Like

additionally every child must be tattooed with their assigned m or f on their forehead in corresponding blue or pink so that everyone can know what sex the minor has been assigned without pulling down the minor’s pants in public and guessing.

:confused:

4 Likes

Rule #1: Conservatives are ALWAYS wrong. About everything.

1 Like

Principal Brown, may I remind you that wearing hosier, heels, wigs, face powder and lipstick was the height of masculinity in the late 18th century. I submit that it is you who has abandoned traditional masculinity and is a dangerous example for our impressionable youth!

11 Likes

:apple:

2 Likes

Inspiration: Pink Menswear - from tumblr, w/great illustrations

3 Likes

What about the pocket veto where the President / Governor puts the biil in the draw of their desk and never gets around to doing anything about it?

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about!

1 Like

You kinda missed my point there.

Arkansas does not require a supermajority to override vetos. A simple majority is enough.

Given that fact, if you have the votes to pass the legislation in the first place, you have the votes to override the veto.

So what’s the veto for?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.