Armed domestic terrorists take over federal building, but it's OK, they're white

Can’t, or shouldn’t? There are a few sticky problems here. One is that, if racism is a societal problem, then all in such societies are affected by racism. The society itself is the biggest (but no more significant) victim. Then there’s the personal angle. I have had racism directed towards me specifically, and this is part of how I dealt with it. Since I found it helpful, should I simply bite my tongue and not share what I have learned with others? I try to be tactful, but it still seems more prudent to speak from what I know in my own experience, rather than offer platitudes which I think are harmful with the excuse that they might be more easily digested.

Not only is racism “perpetuating the concept”, but I think that this is true of identifying as any sort of victim in general. I have been subjected to racism, sexual assault, and even genuine attempted murder on numerous occasions. My experiences were real, and the shitty intentions behind them were real. But I was only able to really integrate these experiences and function when I was able to move past feeling like a victim. The more personal the affront seemed to be, the more difficult this was to do. But the worst thing I could possibly do was take such horrific stuff personally, to internalize other people’s greed, tribalism, xenophobia, or hatred as being somehow about me. Even if it damages my finances, my relationships, or my own body. I don’t blame them or myself any more than if I am eaten by a tiger or killed in a tornado.

My experience (take it or leave it!) has been that internalizing the label of “victim” hinders integration of my experiences, it allows my problems to define me to an unacceptable extent, can be a self-sustaining dynamic, and retards healing. In some very real ways, it hindered me from learning and doing things which could actually help remedy the cause of the situation. In many ways, victimization is the enemy of agency. But victimization can be considered as the action (being wronged) and also the identity (who you are to yourself and others). I think that the latter does more harm even than the former.

1 Like