Army relieves officer of duties after holocaust jibe

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/01/army-relieves-officer-of-dutie.html

16 Likes

If only they had done the same with an arrogant bully of a lieutenant I knew back when I was in the Army. Instead, he’s now serving as the US Secretary of State.

56 Likes

This dude is an idiot. If he’d posted this a week or two earlier he could have spoken at the RNC.

47 Likes

From my own experience it also seemed to me that punishment was handed out in a non-uniform manner. There were those who would be punished, and those who would be excused, and you could usually tell in advance.

But the combat arms MOSs tended to be fairly swift with enforcement, and slow to resolve.

@fnordius I had no idea Pompeo was a tanker. What a disgrace.

19 Likes

As always, I await the open letter in Harpers signed by all the Serious People decrying cancel culture.

11 Likes

The “ironic goat f*cker” strikes again.

36 Likes

Coming soon to a police department… that guy.

31 Likes

Given the increased militarization, they’ll probably ask him to bring his field artillery along as well.

12 Likes

If he complains about the repercussions, he should be told he’s being ironically dishonorably discharged, and it’s his fault if he’s triggered.

44 Likes

Thank you for this post and the Sartre quote. Portrait of the Antisemite is an eye opener.
Can’t wait for the day they introduce philosophy into grade school curriculum.

18 Likes

His career is over before it started. I’m sure the Proud Boys will welcome him with open arms.

7 Likes

For legal reasons; this is a discharge.

17 Likes

For legal reasons, this is Fort Leavenworth.

7 Likes

What was his “joke” supposed to be? What did he actually say? Also, FUCK NAZI’s.

2 Likes

And this:

(Includes link to the full essay as PDF.)
11 Likes

I thought members of the armed forces weren’t supposed to be using Tik Tok…

3 Likes

Sadly, true.
But I find it hard to reconcile thinking “Good, he deserves what he gets” with “But if he can learn from this, wouldn’t it be better than just going down that path further and become a Proud Boy?”.

Maybe I’m being naive in thinking he and others can be rehabilitated.

1 Like

So one of the big talking points at the RNC was “cancel culture”-- which I guess means they will defend this guy no matter how low he stoops, but the bottom line is if people don’t have to ever answer for saying something clearly outside the bounds of decent society, is there still such a thing as decent society?

In other words, the GOP is claiming Biden and the left are trying to destroy America, when in fact it’s exactly the other way around.

8 Likes

Preempting a phrase with “this is a joke” does not disqualify the following thought because clearly the person spent time thinking about it, knew what the consequences were and then thought of what circumstance they can create to be “allowed” to say that thing. There’s a lot of mental gymnastics going on there instead of listening to the voice that’s telling them not to say such things.

And look, i say this as a person that loves to be inappropriate but telling people not to be offended because it’s a joke is akin to gas lighting. Some things just don’t need to be said publicly, and if you’re sharing it with the world really think about what you’re joking about. There are ways to be inappropriate without being an asshole but some people just love being edgelords.

7 Likes

1. I wrote my PhD dissertation on the social function of humor (in literature & film) and here's the thing about "just joking."

— Jason P. Steed (@5thCircAppeals) August 9, 2016

2. You're never "just joking." Nobody is ever "just joking." Humor is a social act that performs a social function (always).

— Jason P. Steed (@5thCircAppeals) August 9, 2016
32 Likes