Arrests and outrage at Flood Wall Street

Who are your congressman and senator?

You’re absolutely right that lobbyist get all the choice schedule slots.

Bloc Party throws the best block parties.

3 Likes

My rep is Luis Gutierrez, IL 4th. The senators are Kirk and Durbin. I was, of course, thinking of Durbin. I have no idea if Mark Kirk would speak to me, but if so I’d probably get thrown out of his office!

Durbin doesn’t have constituent outreach? That’s odd. Durbin was my senator for years. He definite has a regular constituent meeting in DC.When he’s back in the 4th (a shittastic gerrymander if I’ve ever saw one), I have no idea.

I have a friend that worked in the DC office for my rep when I lived in Illinois (Cosetllo IL-12). I even called once and coincidently he answered the phone. They honestly log every call and compile a report about the calls received every day and present it to the congressman. You may even get a form letter back string the the congressman’s position about whatever issue you called about. If you want to schedule a face-to-face meeting, you’ll probably get a staffer and honestly for only a few minutes. (Finite supply of minutes in the day, infinite demand for time.) The staffers do look at your area code and will trash any calls that are not from constituents. Why? People lie. Phones (usually) don’t.

I admit, in Durbin’s case I just assumed, since he’s representing 12 million people and is so senior in the party.

You think my district is bad, take a look at the Maryland 3rd!

1 Like

September 21

Wait - so cops doing “something dumb” is not cause for outrage? They assaulted peaceful protesters with pepper spray and fists. What do they have to do to earn your opprobrium - actually open fire on the crowd?

5 Likes

Hi Xeni, I’m the one who doctored up the “take it to the source graphic” for Rising Tide North America. I wanted to give credit where its do. The graphic actually comes from a call for a 1990 Earth Day action (1990!).

Here’s the original: http://pic.twitter.com/Mj575LrkUI

Unfortunately, discuss thinks I’m a new user and can’t upload it directly!

Thanks for covering the action.

3 Likes

Is that actually a stock market sculpture? If so, the symbolism is off. IIRC, the bear/bull dichotomy come from a bear standing up and attacking in a swipe downward, but a bull goring by swinging its head up. That Frankfurt sculpture has the bear crouching and looking up, with the bull higher up looking down.

1 Like

No one in washington legislates, silly. That would interfere with getting re-elected!

2 Likes

Maybe it is a symbolism for the markets usually not getting it quite right?

3 Likes

So they only talk to people with land lines?

4 Likes

I don’t have a problem with someone having 100 Million: I do; however, have a problem with someone having a billion, 10 billion, and hundreds of billions of dollars in wealth. You are essentially just asking for a few individuals to inflict their biases and prejudices on the rest of humanity with potentially devastating impact. And, I have a problem while others live and die in poverty.

3 Likes

Are today’s Super Rich roughly equivalent to the Old South’s Planter Class and are our wars in their interests only?

2 Likes

The professed motives of historical actors are not necessarily the actual motives of history - whether the effect is intended or not.

1 Like

Ain’t no party like a Black Bloc Party 'cause a Black Bloc party don’t stop until all the shop windows have been smashed, the ATMs gutted, and a police car is on fire.

3 Likes

Hey folks look there is a Troll

1 Like

Because this is unknown knowledge that we don’t see mentioned time and again, even in popular media…

2 Likes

Oh, this knowledge is fairly widely distributed. The important second step is to educate on what to do about the corruption. Seems to be some differences of opinion on that one.

1 Like

Keep voting and hope that they self-regulate?

1 Like