Art, artists, and art news

How long until he likes the statues better?

4 Likes

tbf, it’s not like Roman emperors made them themselves

4 Likes

The Courtauld Gallery, not the biggest in London but a significant collection, is a fair distance from the fire, diagonally across a large courtyard. Glad it’s safe.

7 Likes

A profile of Mickalene Thomas:

6 Likes

If I had a billionaire spouse, I’d instead ask them for water purification systems and the elimination of cholera in a bunch of places.

4 Likes

For our Chicagoland mutant readers:

8 Likes

I’m sure it also “helped” that the people who came to Paris for the olympics were there to watch sports. Not many jocks and the jock-adjacent are into meandering thru museums. /Gallic shrug

I’m not an expert, but I’m not mad for it.

Hardly surprising scheißeberg says it’s a Roman thing - after all, he wants to be Julius Caesar when he grows up.

4 Likes

You don’t need to be an expert to appreciate it or not, yours is still a valid response. I don’t mind the turquoise figure (from what I can see), the fabric is, I find, rather heavy and clumsily executed.

Art in Paris Olympics, sculpture gold medal winner

Okay it was 100 years ago.

Salvator Mundi can go unviewed as far as I am concerned.

3 Likes

That discus thrower is amazing.

Religious works aren’t usually my cuppa, but whoever created it, Salvator Mundi does have a lovely glow-y face.

Saw an interesting article about the woman who did restoration work on it, and the process she went thru. I would be interested to see further analysis of the painting.

Edited b/c speling is hard

4 Likes

Ah, welcome to the Gernsback Continuum.

Don’t worry the effect will wear off eventually. Just don’t fall off a non-existent skyramp in the meantime.

2 Likes

Also in…

4 Likes

Yes! I think it looks surprisingly awkward and I realized it’s because the neck and body just don’t really flow nicely into the weird metal… structure… that seems to be pinning her to the wall like some kind of gak. I don’t get it. Like I don’t understand why some one who is capable of working with metal like that would be satisfied with such a confusing job.
Are those clothes? Some kind of restraints? Is she popping out of a caul? What is going on? Why doesn’t any of her body seem to respond to it like it’s just kind of hovering and not really touching her? It’s just an ugly image that ends up looking like some one glued a doll to a wall with solder or something.

If you wanted me to look at it and think anxiously “why is this woman here and why doesn’t she seem to notice her terrible situation” then congrats.

And given the subject matter… idk.
Maybe it is a good sculpture after all.

7 Likes

To be fair that is an awful photo illustration, the statue is in a garden (so she is pinned to or walking away from a tree).

I looked at it first as a kind of Spirit of Ecstasy, windy day cloak-wearing kind of theme, but it has no delicacy or joy, and comes off as part regenerating Terminator and part encased Han Solo.

If you want decent fabric sculpting you need an Italian with a block of marble. (Don’t scroll all the way down though.)

4 Likes

Our local Chihuly

12 Likes

'I Don’t Want to Use It, I Want to Be It’: This Artist Is on a Quest to Become One With AI

6 Likes

She can start by putting on a garbage bag.

2 Likes

hmmm…
GLaDOS?
what could possibly go wrong?
:man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Art never goes wrong. Happy little mistakes, at worst.

4 Likes

If she succeeds, then at least it will be a triumph.

1 Like

–Andrea Kowch

9 Likes