Art gallery declared insensitive for selling ear-shaped rubber eraser and other gag gifts at Van Gogh exhibit

Art, and humor, are in the eyes of the beholder. I would have said in the “eyes and ears” of the beholder as you do have to hear some art and comedy, but would have been in poor taste as well?

3 Likes

People revere thousands of relics related to dead religious people kept by the church and nobody bats an eye. Art gallery sells a tongue-in-cheek rubber Van Gogh ear and everybody loses their minds.

4 Likes

as a life-long van Gogh fan, i wouldn’t buy one, but i get that it’s one of the two or three things most people know about him, so i get the impulse to market off it and make fun. at least it’s exposing people to art and artists, i guess.

1 Like

If I saw it in the museum store, I’d get a momentary chuckle, because I have no problem laughing at dark humor. One of the reasons I wouldn’t buy it, though, is that it would completely lose its humor value out of context. If I have to keep explaining to people that my rubber ear eraser is funny because I bought it at the Van Gogh museum, and not just because it’s a rubber ear, then it’s not funny.

2 Likes

who has a pencil large enough?

4 Likes

6 Likes

Boy can you imagine what that real ear would be worth? I would get it put in a lucite case and try to trade it for a amazing fantasy 15

1 Like

Hmmm … As a novelty eraser I think it’s kind of fun on its own. I mean that’s the story that caught on with people for this long. In my mind Van Gogh as a pop culture icon is almost like some folk saint of the arts, and the ear is part of his iconography.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Based on Gaugin’s accounts, Van Gogh was the roommate from hell.

1 Like

For sale at the Tycho Brahe Observatory gift shop,

7 Likes

Yes! Art and bathroom stuff should never cross the streams!

2 Likes

/Adds to list of band names

2 Likes

:open_hands:t5:
:trophy:

Well done!

1 Like

According to the Tate

Founded by Billy Childish and Charles Thomson in 1999, Stuckism is an art movement that is anti-conceptual and champions figurative painting

So while Duchamp’s fountain has lost some of its shock value, and at the time was not “commercialized” in the same sense as a Damien Hirst piece, it was somewhat in the same spirit as art that has been disparaged by Charles Thomson.

1 Like

Editable weed gummy ears :ear: would be fine with me. But consider the source…

2 Likes

Wait, so it’s an eraser and it’s in the shape of an ear, which is part of the head…

1 Like

Say It What GIF

1 Like

Yes often Gaugin was caught coughing:
“Go Gogh… go go go Gogh!!!”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.