Art gallery removes film that rated 5,000 women from "prettiest to ugliest"

Originally published at: Art gallery removes film that rated 5,000 women from "prettiest to ugliest" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Seems like the right call to me.

If you have trouble telling when you are being an asshole, if you say something like this, you are almost definitely being an asshole.

13 Likes

“I think I have the right to tell the truth.”

Nobody has to listen to your personal, subjective truth.

In any case, beauty doesn’t mean that much. My high school crush, who is still a very beautiful woman, is a monster. Just a total asshole. Meanwhile, I’ve had the life experience of being completely bowled over, and fallen hard for someone who was conventionally unattractive.

20 Likes

And Mr. Song will surely be a model of masculine beauty when we see him on the promotional tour for his seven-hour film Incel: The Movie. I’d hope the punishment for this is personally listening to 5000 women rate his inadequacy.

28 Likes

The ugliest person in this film was behind the camera the entire time.

44 Likes

Art is supposed to be provocative, I guess, but it would have been more interesting it the women had been shown in a random order, labelled pretty or ugly regardless of their appearance, illustrating how subjective beauty is.

5 Likes

16 Likes

Somebody gave it away, they hate women.

13 Likes

Came to say this, he should be the last image in the film.

“I think I have the right to tell the truth.”

Me, too.

16 Likes

He defended the work saying: “I think I have the right to tell the truth.”

Beyond everything else, if that’s his defense of his work, then that ain’t art. It’s some dude being a pig and hoping that by contextualizing it within an art gallery, it would become art. You could absolutely defend it as art - just being grotesque doesn’t disqualify it. (One could even put a “deliberately grotesque” feminist spin on it.) But since the maker is essentially framing it with, “I’m just rating some chicks,” that definitely isn’t placing the work in an art context. One could argue against giving undue weight to the intentions of the maker, but he’s made that (non-art) interpretation unavoidable.

17 Likes

it disrespected women, and the way it was shot has copyright infringement issues

"We don’t give a shit about the former, but we don’t want to get sued by Warner Brothers for the 40 seconds of a Coldplay song playing in the background.

5 Likes

Says optimistic artist in China

10 Likes

It’s always disappointing how many humans have trouble with this concept.

15 Likes

In case you ever wanted to know how up-its-own-ass the art world is, this dude had the idea for this project, hired people to help him do it, probably has an agent and associated business-side people involved, and the gallery has similarly a number or people who were involved in securing the deal with this artist, setting up the display, etc etc etc

And still somehow not enough people said “Hey, this is an unbelievably terrible idea” to keep it from being shown.

7 Likes

“Copyright infringement” might be a mis-translation. The legal problems probably relate to filming and showing identifiable individuals without their permission.

12 Likes

Y’all have a looooong way to go.

Here’s some advice for the future. If some one applies for an exhibit called “naked pictures of my shitty ex who definitely deserves it” that’s a red flag too.

Maybe also steer clear of: “My anthology of upskirt photos” and “You won’t believe what these drunk teens do!” as well.

Just keep it classy and focus on a curated collection of penis pumps.

14 Likes

Madison Ave art directors shrug and go back to leafing through stacks of headshots.

4 Likes

f345f1d0af47ef177f2ad699b2ab8f61

How about “NO!” ?

10 Likes

He could have had 5000 self-portraits and ranked them. He could have done lots of things without being demeaning.

3 Likes

Yep. Kind of just sounds like a dick. Was waiting to read that this was some sort of (problematic) statement on society’s beauty standards, or men claiming women as property etc…, but no, just sounds like this guy is a dick, and spent a lot of time being a weirdo rating women in public.

5 Likes