The obscenity of a flower - 100 years later

Originally published at: The obscenity of a flower – 100 years later | Boing Boing

2 Likes

5 Likes

No more inspired by female anatomy than Judy Chicago’s portrait of Susan B. Anthony. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I wondered if the woman at the end was going to start making out with the alien

I think that would have really tested YouTube’s censors

Nice song!

1 Like

Sometimes a flower is just a flower. That was a vagina mouth.

9 Likes
1 Like

2 Likes

The choice to make it that particular shade of pink on an otherwise blue alien… I have a hard time believing that this was a misinterpretation (and I don’t really see a resemblance to the painting).

Not a fan of the flagging either way, though.

3 Likes

Well, all flowers are sex organs, some do rather resemble our flowers more than others.

6 Likes

A vulva

5 Likes

It’s funny to me that we are perfectly okay with media that celebrates atrocious, horrifying human behaviour (e.g. much of the “reality” TV that is produced, countless Youtube channels), we’re good with the casual sexism and racism of numerous sitcoms, but let’s crack down on anything that could be construed as sexual.

10 Likes

I’ll start with get off my lawn!

Generic SoCal indie music.

Art directed shock with a vulva on the face of a man. Not seeing a flower or a good representation of a vulva and not seeing the walk or any sensitivity that this character is other than male.

Lolita with ‘Lolita heart shaped sunglasses’ walks into the sunset with vulva mouthed guy.

Get off my lawn!

1 Like

Obscenity is what the mind makes of what it sees and prudity is mistaking the physical for the sexual. So it looks a little, very little bit like a part of the mammalian(*) body, so what?

As so often when people complain about obscenity it makes me realize I am not even that much of a pervert if these people are the norm.

(*It really does not even look that much like a human vulva. That put my mind on the track of figuring out what species’ it does look like but I did not like where that was taking me :smiley: )

3 Likes

Makes sense. Social media AI turns into Nazis. Image screening AI turns into that guy from Deliverance.

1 Like

I don’t really care for the stupid flagging of ‘sexual content’ YT et al do. I’d much prefer if they put that energy into suppressing misinformation (by not recommending it like crazy, for example).

But I don’t think anybody has the association ‘flower’ with that alien. (Or really ‘alien’ for that matter). It’s quite nicely done, but the ‘oh no why are you sensoring a flower’ spiel is rather annoying. Own it.

4 Likes

Dear Wife & Papasan give it two thumbs up.

P.S. The white-man rage scene was so apropos, that likely is the reason it will be banned, after you take the rage away from the white-poison-man, he is nothing, and justly so.

The definition of obscenity should not be “Can you see nipples or sex organs?”

(rhetorically) And why are male sex organ representations acceptable or even lauded (see obelisks and skyscrapers) but female sex organ representations are dangerous to look at?
(is there a /cynical tag, like the /sarcasm one?)

This.gif

1 Like

Methinks the vulva face alien artist doth protest too much.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.