Art Spiegelman pulled his Marvel Folio Society intro after Disney demanded that he not criticize Trump

Higher up than Perlmutter?

happened upon this online today. seemed relevant. LOL

16 Likes

Uh huh. And the subtext of just about everything in the Washington Times is…?

Did his fists double in size and did he shout “it’s clobbering time”?

Well, yes, that’s the convention in classic superhero fisticuffs.

Well, that’s a mistake I don’t see Batman making.

2 Likes

Where is that from, did you create this image?! It’s excellent! I would love to post it somewhere…of course along with information about this article and Art’s upcoming Guardian piece.

For me it’s always, “Woah, I’m reading something from a news source owned by the Moonies.” (Even though I’m not sure that’s still the case.)

5 Likes

Kirby’s fists never needed to be a different size to punch Nazis.

3 Likes

That would mean… the entire MCU must be a part of the propaganda machine. Zoinks

I think that’s Superman/DC. Ha.
But by the way, marvel is not completely opposed to lampooning trump. Here’s part of a marvel comic I colored (drawn by Chris visions, Spider Gwen 34) where the villain Modok was drawn as Trump. Maybe stuff like this slips under the radar though, where they wanna be more politically neutral with a hardcover book celebrating their history… (not arguing with anyone pointing out why that’s stupid)

8 Likes

You’ve outed me as someone who does not care to read or differentiate between Marvel or DC comic books or watch their trash movie adaptations geared to the Peter Pan in all of us.
From some examples of comics throughout history that were funded by the US government to promote an agenda during times of war, it’s just transparent that when the pop culture president’s likeness appears in comics even as a comic book villain, it’s publicity - ANOTHER cameo to immortalize this slime ball, but when there’s any semblance of thoughtful negative commentary of the clown actually in charge on home turf, it’s rejected. Nepotistic censorship of criticism the leader. He’s like the subversive Mao. His face is everywhere… just not large scale like his name.

1 Like

totally. i personally never want to draw him. I’ve also done coloring work for mad magazine (owned by DC/warner bros) and they were lampooning trump almost every issue… but even that creeped me out on some level because I know what trump really wants is for people to be talking about him. it’s giving him attention in a way.

4 Likes

Well he’s won in that regard.
I imagine that it’d be hard for the folks at MAD to visually lampoon an entire system, so they’d need a personification of it that was bred in a lab somewhere that had an abundance of beta-carotene.

I assume it was from old Marvel comics. The site I took it from is an RPG site (www.writeups.org) which tries to run stats on various popular culture figures. Some of the images looked familiar from other places.

2 Likes

Could just be that somebody in accounts pointed out that attacking half your customers isn’t the best thing for the bottom line.

1 Like

Is Trump buying half of the print run of Black Panther and The Amazing Spider-Man?

Every day I learn something new.

I thought he preferred verbal presentations and not anything as wordy as your average comic book.

8 Likes

In his Guardian essay (which includes the original introduction) Spiegelman himself seems to think the direction came from either Perlmutter or someone else at Marvel acting on his directives. It seems unlikely that this kind of editorial decision would need to come from any higher up than the top brass at Marvel publishing, unless Bob Iger has a VP assigned to micromanage that kind of thing.

4 Likes

I made it, but just by slapping together junk from google image search. I just looked for a picture of Red Skull that was dumpy and dour, wikipedia had what I needed, did some hue shifts and slapped some Donny hair on from a stock image. Glad you liked my hasty shoop. Post away.

2 Likes

Marvel was alway polictical.

11 Likes

Anyone who buys the compilation, print out his full essay (or get a copy of the guardian) and keep a copy with the book…

3 Likes