Hugo Weaving calls out the alt-ies bullshit

Excellent interview

10 Likes

Interesting, Red Skull and President Trump usually see eye to eye on most issues. At least that’s the impression I get from the President Supervillain Twitter Feed.

8 Likes

The alt rightists probably think of Hugo Weaving like this

but of course before that he was also

I don’t think he takes any shit from the red pill brigade that have appropriated The Matrix

19 Likes

They like The Lord of the Rings too

3 Likes

So, was taking the red pill a metaphor for transitioning?

1 Like

Do they? I haven’t really seen them use it as a reference so much. Seems even harder to fit into their strange worldview.

I think that Trump is more of a Purple Man president

3 Likes

I’ve definitely read that they do, but I can’t currently prove it and it’s possible I’ve been misled.

Almost all the Google results we get from keywords like “Lord of the Rings” “racists” are arguments about whether the books are racist or not, which is not the same question.

1 Like

You’d either have to search around on avowedly racist sites like “stormfront” (eww!), or you’d have to figure out a term that both describes their self image but is distinct from the usual vocabulary associated with Tolkien studies. So AS would be right out.

“Redpill” provides a glimpse into their thinking.

1 Like

Weaving is just one of 26 million alternately bemused and horrified Australians right now.

US elections used to be fun to watch. You learned a lot of geography that way.

3 Likes

26 million seems a bit high. Surely there are some bogan Trump supporters, like in every country? Someone must have voted for Tony Abbot after all, or Scott Morrison for that matter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.