Article about legendary keyboard maker Cherry's 50-year-history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/01/article-about-legendary-keyboa.html

3 Likes

Funny enough, when I think of Cherry switches I think of arcade buttons first. Must be all those days of researching and finally building MAME cabinets.

1 Like

The Atari fire buttons by Cherry are the coolest.

IMG_20180801_082739805sml

4 Likes

Ok, that video was cool, but the diagrammatic illustration at the top of the article is tickling a lot of my hell yes! neurons.

1 Like

When I was quite young one of my mom’s best friends was an Atari engineer, and he would bring me such switches and buttons to play with. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was typing on Cherry keyboards back in the seventies, before it was cool.

There were also C.P. Clare reed switch keyboards, which were quieter.

3 Likes

I remember Cherry microswitches from the 1967 ISA show at the NY Coliseum. A friend of mine’s father worked for Fairchild Instruments and gave us freebie tickets for the show. They probably would let a couple of 12 or 13 year olds in nowadays, but back then it wasn’t a problem. Cherry microswitches had a great feel. They were lovely to press and release. They were also a lot smaller and worked with less force than the kind of switches we could find at hardware stores or hobbyist shops. That was also the show where I first saw Nixie tubes and a Wang digital calculator that used them. It was pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Mechanical keyboard with blue Cherry MX switches (and PBT keycaps), and a laser printer: two best things I’ve bought in the last 5 or 6 years.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.