Articles with closed comments

Yes, I think there were two mini-conversations going simultaneously. TheMudshark, niktemadur, and I are all noticing a specific glitch involving Xeni’s threads.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable :slight_smile: There must still be some bugs; I asked because a couple articles on the BB front page feed with closed comments didn’t even have a link to the bbs site, much less any ‘from our forums’ comments to show (for the record the one I could find again from last night was Xeni’s). Here’s a screenshot. Pro-tip, there are no secret hidden links at any of the coordinates noted and shouting “A-la Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches” at the screen doesn’t work, either.

Could it be that nobody ever commented on these stories before they closed? I actually supposed that you guys were going for a 4-chan erase thing, just 5x slower with regards to our age.

1 Like

WP is not defaulting to Discourse for short-form posts, of which Xeni’s done a lot lately. It’s just a glitch that’s still being worked on.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Antinous.

It turns out the link was written with disappearing ink. It should appear again if you either rub your monitor with ammonia or put it in the oven for at least ten minutes at 120°C.

3 Likes

Darn it: a couple more of her threads today would be very interesting to have comments on…find that glitch and fix it, please!!

Women, Sex and Monkeys–and comments are closed?

Oh, the humanity!

1 Like

Comments closed: http://boingboing.net/2013/07/08/daniel-ellsberg-nsa-leaker-sn.html

Looks like the “this thread has been automatically closed because 5 days have elapsed” message bumps the thread to the top. I should imagine this is a bug :smiley:

It should not bump, there were a few cases early on where it did it.

It also does not trigger unread … if you read the post before the “this topic was closed”

examples?

I just turned on comments for three or four short posts.

Yeah, I saw that…thanks! Can you do more of them? (Pretty please with strawberries and cream on it?)

Just give me the URLs of the posts. I went through everything from today.

… never mind - was in process of making a list and they were all fixed before I was done. Good work.

We’re still teasing out some edge conditions here where it happens.

2 Likes

Oh glorious BB humor! How I have missed thee. (I understand that the flat design makes it harder w/ less one-line zingers etc., but I have faith we mutants shall Find A Way.)

Did some sort of fix just go through, because about a dozen old BB posts suddenly rolled to the top of the list on Discourse as open for business?

Yes, @deanputney just deployed a fix, I changed the logic in the plugin to compensate for a pile more edge conditions.

In particular, if we notice a published post and for whatever reason the “publish to discourse” option was never set on the post AND the post is 7 days or younger, we will publish it.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what I figured.