Artificially-intelligent song maships

Originally published at: Artificially-intelligent song maships | Boing Boing

Maships?

Is that one of those silly Tik Tok challenges?

6 Likes

Not sure if site working. Maybe doesn’t work with Firefox? If I click the ‘mashup’ button or hit enter, the entry line just clears. What’s working for you guys?
Trying to get these two gems to play together:

Okay, well this sounds pretty good, though it said the Original version of MVP - Make Me Feel was too long and I had to use a fairly different-sounding “trip-hop” remix of it.

1 Like

I can safely say that the mash-up produced by melding Anywhere But Here by KD Lang, and Cotton Eye Joe by some weird bunch of people with questionable dental hygiene, is not good, not good at all. And it shows no signs of intelligence, artificial or otherwise, on either the app’s part or mine.

1 Like

I’ve been playing around with this for a couple years. Here’s some of my mashups…

1 Like

Re: Seven Nation Army and Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This. Uncanny’s the word.
Surely nothing can beat Sweet Dreams + White Stripes Mashup | Pomplamoose ft. Sarah Dugas - YouTube

2 Likes

My immediate instinct was to mash up two songs that absolutely don’t belong together.
I went with the Andrew Sisters’ “Bongo Bongo Bongo” and Rammstein’s “Du Hast”.
It sure is… something.
Du 1948 (rave.dj)

2 Likes

Gotta admit mashing up PSY with MC Hammer seems almost inevitable in hindsight.

I gave it a shot… and got an interesting failure.

I chose Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time” mixed with Foxy Shazam’s “Oh Lord,” because they’re songs I love and well, why not?

The AI’s transitions are clumsy, and it doesn’t seem to be able to strip the vocal line from its background. If you listen closely you can hear both song’s lyrics at the same time, one loud, one soft. Since one song is shorter than the other, when it ends, the other song is abruptly cut off.

And yet… there’s something there that’s sooo close to right. With a human’s touch, this could be a successful mashup. If I had the slightest idea how to do it, I’d try it myself, but I’ve got no clue. :cry:

It’s like mashed potatoes, but you use turnips. On a turn table. You know, maships.

2 Likes

Another Jolene in the Wall (AS made this. Artificial Stupidity.)

That “sweet dreams” and “seven nation army” mashup is one of the best I’ve heard.

And I’ve heard a lot.

And I’m a sound engineer surrounded by DJ’s obsessed with mashups.

“I mixed X with Y, and all it did was play me a deep cut by Z .” I’ll start. I mixed “Teddy Bears Picnic ~ sung by Anne Murray” with Philip Glass’ Koyaanisqatsi, and all it did was play me a deep cut by Lady Gaga.

(I have not been able to actually get a result out of the AI with this or similar combos; it errors out.)

Okay, I’ve managed to coax out a few that I consider listenable:

Made my day

I think this one’s got promise, if I can find the right versions of the song to mix.

And this one worked way better than it had any right to.

I’ve tried to mash up a cover and an original song, and the AI seems to don’t recognise them, or can’t sync on the beat. Being '60s songs it’s also possible that the beats aren’t exactly perfect especially on live performances.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried that a few times with a bunch of songs and none of them were successful. I tried a few Weird Al parody version to greater success, with this one being the most interesting.

I’m not going to apologize for this:

1 Like