As his cars burst into flame, Musk still thinks people will trust his brain chips

4 Likes

And really we already have way better versions of that, they just aren’t new.

Cybernetically enhanced bodies

11 Likes

As I always like to tell people “I have the ability to issue mental commands to you! To control you without any physical means! Hand me that spoon and I will show you!”

13 Likes

Using vibration of atmospheric molecules, where by controlling the base frequency, formants, and adding a variety of pitchless yet distinctive types of noise, we have a rich and extremely flexible protocol to encode almost anything we can imagine.

But I’m sure implant Pong is very nice too, if the surgery doesn’t kill you.

11 Likes

One thing I’ve heard mentioned is the implant could allow control of prosthetic limbs.

we have very good ways of doing this without putting a quarter in your brain though. The real issue is that “could” in there. This has been tortured monkeys playing pong combined with “Once we get these into people we will figure out how it works and what we can do”. There is no there there at the moment, and no reason to put a quarter in your head.

If you want super cyber powers put a rare earth magnet in your finger. It’s less dangerous and you can detect studs

9 Likes

i’m controlling my prosthetic limb right now!
eta: with my mind!

6 Likes

Hey, it was asked just what an implant like these could do. I do not believe this is the best way to do much of anything.

1 Like

Seems like a solution in search of a problem…

But how without a brain inplant!

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF

Given how just very opaque the brain is, and how little we know about how it works, I’m not sure I see a reason to shove a piece of hardware in there without us knowing tons more about that very delicate and weird organ at this point. Especially just because this particular human says we should, as he’s shown himself to be deeply ignorant of about any number of fields that he claims expertise on.

6 Likes

An overview video from a few months ago in wired:

The part I like to highlight is this - a listing of 20 years of accomplishments by other researchers. Neuralink"s contribution is being able to duplicate that work, add more wires into the brain, and make it wireless. All presented with the underlying assumption that “well, we did 20 years of work in just a couple, so we are good at this and we will be able to innovate at the same rate we were copying, and adding more wires is going to make this more powerful, but we don’t know how yet.”

For example, in 2002, the first demonstration of real-time cursor control in monkeys took place.

2008, a monkey controlling a robotic arm in three dimensions fed itself.

2012, the first brain-controlled robotic arm by a human.

2017, a human controlled a cursor mentally to type out words and sentences.
Dr. Nuyujukian was part of the study, as well as the one in 2018, where a human subject mentally controlled a tablet to do things like browse the web, send emails, and play games or music.

All that’s been done with a couple hundred electrodes.

[Narrator] But in 2019, Neuralink, a private company, changed the game when it unveiled a pig named Gertrude with a wireless implant that monitored about a thousand neurons.

ETA: I mean, I would not try this, even if I had a condition, say, locked in syndrome, which greatly reduced my ability to interface with the world because at this point there is little evidence that it would work better than existing methods of coping and has the possibility of either killing me with an infection or somehow messing with my ability to use whatever function I do have left because there is a quarter in my brain. Of course, I don’t have that and I can’t say for sure that I would do what non-affected me thinks I would. It just seems like a huge risk for very little payback at this point

8 Likes

No no noppity nope.
It’s been done, as mentioned by several commenters, by REPUTABLE and COMPETENT research institutions. It can have important applications for those who need such tech to ameliorate their lives.
I don’t really think Mr EM is going to do anything in actual reality, but if he does one can only imagine the boondoggles that will follow. With truly dire consequences this time.
This was fiction, not a road map (it does not end well)!

5 Likes

Yeah, but Bill’s chips were going to control them and Lone Skum’s chips are going to… (oh, wait).

6 Likes

Prosthetic limbs? This is Musk we are talking about. It is probably about his life-long dream to play Xbox and hold his bong at the same time.

5 Likes

Hey, he smoked up on a podcast one time! You don’t think of OJ Simpson as just a murderer, do you?
(That was a thing he said, for the record.)

2 Likes

Once again I must remind you:

2 Likes

Cued up, an obvious reference, from one of the best dark comedies of the 60s. (BTW: For those who haven’t seen the film, the clip below is a major spoiler.)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.