As Queen emerges from "covid scare", Prince Charles promises cheap coronation with only 2000 guests

Originally published at: As Queen emerges from "covid scare", Prince Charles promises cheap coronation with only 2000 guests | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Oh boy, this is a whole new level of Beschizza shoop

15 Likes

Chuck should listen to his friends and just immediately pass the sceptre to William. Even those who still support this outmoded and embarrassing institution don’t want him as king.

15 Likes

He gave her the royal treatment!

4 Likes

But he’s waited so loooong! Give him five minutes at least. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes
13 Likes

The monarchy is kind of a brand - and a new gendered monarch would be a MASSIVE rebranding and reprinting of every piece of government paper that refers to a queen - I’d be curious to see what that ends up costing. God Save the --Insert dynamic monarch name–.

2 Likes

Sorry, Charlie, but I think Scott Thompson is next in line to the throne.

10 Likes

Whereas those of us opposed to the hideous anachronism are just waiting to see how many royal tantrums about a lack of servants to put his toothpaste on the brush, or spider memos issued about his pet peeves it will take to turn public opinion in the direction of the re-establishment of the commonwealth.

5 Likes

The last time it involved replacing every cap badge in the military as well as changing the molds for those cast-iron post boxes to change the style of crown on them. You can date those by whether they have a “king’s crown” or a “queen’s crown” on them.

4 Likes

Making that argument with a woman probably won’t end well, considering how rarely we get to rule at all. So tough luck, Chuck!

:crown: :older_woman:t4:

6 Likes

It was a good run but isn’t it past time and cheaper still to just apply a thick coat of Endital to the monarchy?

1 Like

One of the best. Reminds me of a comic book I had as a kid that totally creeped me out. (It featured some humanoid with big long teeth, and these spheroid creatures with just mouths).

1 Like
1 Like

Does anyone know the SCP Foundation code for that one?

2 Likes

I think you mean the isz from The Maxx.

1 Like

Yes! That was exactly it!! Thank you!

Pass the Duchy 'pon the left hand side!

1 Like

If they still have a King’s Crown they weren’t replaced…

Which is why I said that they had to replace the moulds rather than that they had to replace the actual postboxes. Also it isn’t necessarily the case that they would have to replace all that when Charles ascends to the throne. They’re called Kings and Queens crowns because QEII decided to change them, but there is no other particular association with the sex of the monarch. Charles could stay with the current crown, switch to the former crown, or pick another representation of the crown.

1 Like