As Twitter sinks, Musk rearranges the deck chairs

Originally published at: As Twitter sinks, Musk rearranges the deck chairs | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Yeah, sorry elmo. The acid test for E2EE is a bunch of independent cryptographers saying it. I don’t think you could break ROT-13 on a good day.

24 Likes

However, whichever emoji you choose, it will be replaced with the poop emoji.

23 Likes

This is a prime example of 5-D chess being played by a 6-D idiot.

15 Likes

Declaring the “new” as his eyes anxiously dart towards The Tuck.

7 Likes

Twitter has rolled out some quality of life updates for direct messages on the platform, and CEO Elon Musk reckons the site is to start encrypting DMs, beginning today, without providing proof that’s the case.

In a tweet last night, Twitter Support announced that a couple of well-trodden DM features from other platforms were being added to Twitter. Namely, the ability to directly reply to a specific message, à la Apple’s iMessage, and a new expandable menu of message reactions will allow responses “with a wider range of emojis than ever before.”

We’re unsure if Twitter engineers simply forgot that any and all emojis were usable in DMs before coding in an alternative to the emoji keyboard available on most modern devices.

[…]

10 Likes

I’m easily amused by AI and had to use “five dimensional chess being played by a six dimensional idiot” as a prompt.

17 Likes

Next he might try to charge on a per-message or per-character basis. That may seem like a joke, but we’re talking about Galt Jr. here.

12 Likes

You don’t think large enough.

Per impression.

10 Likes

He appears to be trying to re-brand Twitter as a libertarian free speech safe haven for neo-Nazis.

8 Likes

“I could not see your DMs even if there was a gun to my head.”

Why would having a gun to your head help you read encrypted messages, poindexter?

11 Likes

Trying? That’s the only thing he’s successfully done to Twitter.

9 Likes

Musk’s fans like to tell us he has an unparalleled vision of the future - so perhaps they can tell us why he’s trying to replicate Tencent’s WeChat c. 10 years ago?

7 Likes

The biggest vulnerability of their system would be if Musk thinks it would be cool to be able to peek at people’s private DMs.

6 Likes

As one who will not answer an unidentified caller, why would I answer an unidentified video caller?

8 Likes

As opposed to Gab, TruthSocial, Bitchute and any number of sites catering to neo Nazis.

3 Likes

Perhaps he thinks that nobody outside China knows about WeChat, except for him of course, and that if he copies WeChat he really will be bringing Twitter into the future.

6 Likes

“The acid test is that I could not see your DMs even if there was a gun to my head,” Musk tweeted.

Also, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.

6 Likes

The implication is that at the moment he does read your private DMs.

14 Likes

Wow, it’s even worse than I thought.

• verified only
  • metadata unencrypted
  • happens server side

So yeah, that gun put to his head? He’s singing like a canary.

11 Likes