Ashwath Kaushik beat a chess grandmaster. He's only 8 years old

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/20/eight-year-old-beat-chess-grandmaster.html

8 Likes

Pfft. I can do that, too. Only my game looks more like this:

Okay, this idiot is still impressed by young Master Kaushik. :smiley:

5 Likes

How do we know for sure this wasn’t just a case of “let the Wookie win”?

4 Likes

I was wondering if it was a case of new players making unpredictable moves that experts find it hard to adapt to.

But I know barely more than nothing about chess, so…

5 Likes

“It felt really exciting and amazing, and I felt proud of my game and how I played, especially since I was worse at one point but managed to come back from that,” Kaushik said.

This and the other quotes in the article do paint a nicely down to earth portrait of Kaushik and his family.

6 Likes

6 Likes

He does look like he could rip a juice box’s straw out of its socket. 8 year old chess masters have been known to do that you know

3 Likes

Here’s a nice analysis of the game by Agadmator, who’s rated intermediately between the two players. It looks like this didn’t become a new game until move 13, so the young Kaushik definitely knows his theory.

3 Likes

I could also be beaten by an 8 year old but nobody call me a “Chess Master.”

1 Like

I was under the impression that in the World of Chess, “bungled” was how one described mistakes.

1 Like

I’m a patzer, so I’m likely wrong - but I think a single bad move is referred to as a “blunder”. However, you can also maneuver yourself into a losing position by an accumulation of moves that are just slightly worse than your opponent, none of which are critically bad by themselves…which might be what Kaushik meant.

1 Like

It’s been a very great while since I last heard “patzer”. I always thought it was something like “newbie”. Anyway, my context for use of “blunder” came from my observation of some of our high school chess club players who extended their more casual match play to subway rides. “Bungled” may well have also been thrown around (and “effed-up” was definitely there, that I know) On several occasions I played a family friend (and physician) who was rated as a class B player. More of a series of very harsh lessons as I had only “played for fun” perhaps a dozen times by the time I subjected myself to the B player’s skills. (He was too polite to throw blunder or bungle or eff-up at me.) We’d play whenever he visited. I can proudly claim that on at least two occasions I actually caused him to stop in mid-move, replace his piece, then go 'hmm". My tiny victories. He was merciless.

2 Likes

Sounds like Rocky, but with chess.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.