Aspic is back for the '20s dinner party

george bush dat ass GIF

5 Likes

The video was very enjoyable to watch but I will not be making that.

By the way, I didnʻt know that anybody still sifted flour in recipes.

I didn’t know anybody didn’t.

2 Likes

Yeah, a number of times (at office events, parties…). I can appreciate a lightly sweetened dessert, but these are just incredibly boring. (It probably doesn’t help that bakeries are using fruit that’s usually out of season, not terribly ripe or flavorful, but if I wanted to showcase good fruit, that’s still not what I’d make.)

1 Like

I’ve encountered good ones on occasion, but often they seemed to be more for the eye than the palate.

2 Likes

Not aspic nor gelatin, but related.

3 Likes

Lovely! I’ve seen some do similar stuff on the Great British Bake Off, but never to such a degree. It’s impressive.
Still not sure if I’d enjoy eating it, but I’d like seeing it on the plate!

1 Like

Came for the Crimson reference, wasn’t disappointed.

1 Like

Panna Cotta is made from gelatin, and is freaking delicious

2 Likes

I had a really long day and somehow sat for this whole video. Did me all the way right.
I hate videos and miss text instructables, but when I’m going to watch a video appreciate much the ones without speech that show not tell. Extra love for the gentle splatching and splishing sounds left in when she edited.

I started feeling relaxed and happy when we got to the caulking with cream cheese frosting. By the time the lemon gelatin was being ladled on my only worry was whether I’d embarrass myself by picking off the cherry tomatoes if I were to be lucky enough to be served such a pretty and funny cake.

Last year the lockdown at some point gave my partner la ganas to make and eat elementary school style packet generic jello. I’m talking artificial as heck raspberry or cherry from the little packet. And it was satisfying as all get-go.

1 Like

Germans love every kind of preserve, and aspic is still in fashion over here. This was my dinner last night.

My Irish gran used to make a rather odd dish setting pickled beetroot in blackcurrant jelly. I think it was her interpretation of a dish she knew from a Jewish refugee she took in during WWII. It was strangely tasty. But the peas and carrots in lime jelly were a step too far.

1 Like

I had some crab and shrimp soup from a local Chinese restaurant recently, and it was rather thick. Perhaps some aspic in it?

1 Like

More likely cornstarch or arrowroot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.