Assailant of actor Rick Moranis turns out to be serial puncher

yeah, I didn’t ever really like SNL. You had to watch it, though, part of the deal when I was in my 20s. That and “Charlie’s Angels”, although I never did watch that . I preferred Lorne Michaels when he was paired with Hart Pomerantz , or rather I guess I just liked Hart. But really, comedy is comedy; is the “people getting punched” skit objectively funny?

Not in my world, but comedy does push boundaries. I’ve seen way more people getting shot on tv as ‘entertainment’ than people getting punched - why focus on the jokesters?

1 Like

Merde ran the random-street-punching-to-media-stardom routine back in '08, (much better as fiction, the Tokyo! trilogy is a great watch, reflecting on the dawn of social media)

2 Likes

Well, my favorite era started before I was born (which did admittedly have the advantage of having the worse stuff edited out when I saw it), but I’ve liked various bits from many eras, but the point of the video above was rather obscure to me.

3 Likes

The guy who tried to drop kick Arnold was much funnier. That didn’t turn out too well.

1 Like

Sadly, this has been going on for a while.

2 Likes

PUBLIC DEFENDER: Of all the people you had to sucker punch. Rick Moranis. Jesus christ, I hate my job.
ASSAILANT: I thought you had to provide me with a vigorous defense or something?
PUBLIC DEFENDER: That kind of defense is saved for the people who DON’T punch someone beloved of the city I have to work in. You get the “vinaigrette defense”, where I buy the DA a salad and we talk plea bargain over lunch. Spoiler alert: the plea bargain doesn’t start with probation.

4 Likes

This isn’t sociopathy, it’s schizophrenia. He has been in-and-out of mental institutions for years and was off his meds, according to his attorney.

2 Likes

I wonder if that cold be true also for other people enjoying that “game”. Perhaps not off meds but still undiagnosed, which probably could be even worse.

This is so fitting and inappropriate at the same time:

1 Like

This particular clip is from a few years back. Personally, I don’t think it’s funny. There used to be this show called something like “America’s Funniest Home Videos” which would often show clips of stuff like “grandma getting knocked on her ass by the family’s big dog”. Basically, someone gets slightly hurt or embarrassed by something that someone else did. The audience would laugh uproariously. I was always surprised and appalled by that. It was hard for me to believe that so many people found the misfortunes of others to be So Damn Funny.

After the results of the elections in the last few years, I no longer find it that hard to believe. There seems to be a lot of pathologically cruel people in our society.

1 Like

I watched that show and had a similar response; there was some genuinely funny stuff, but… When I see for example a skateborder have a hard fall, man I literally feel that.

No! Don’t punch my cereal! Or at least wait until I’m done eating

Considering he suffers from severe mental illness, and that he’s been in and out of mental hospitals and jails, I think confinement and treatment until his symptoms are under control would be a more effective approach than “harsh punishment.” I believe our (natural) impulse to punish makes it harder to effectively deal with people who act out due to their mental illness, and can even exacerbate their negative behaviors.

I doubt any would disagree- but it’s not noted in the bb story.

1 Like

Looks like the NY Post article mentions schizophrenia, but you’re right, it’s not in the BB article.

It’s really depressing that we deal with people with mental illness via the courts instead of via robust public health care.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.