Assange to sue Ecuador

Malcolm X was referring to any situation in which oppressor and oppressed are deliberately confounded by the corporate media, in which the most ethical and courageous citizens are so thoroughly demonized that the average media consumer believes, and even defends, the lie.

2 Likes

He still has friends?

2 Likes

This is going to end SO well!

2 Likes

Seriously though!

Thanks so much for Blacksplaining to us all what el Hajj Malik el Shabazz really meant back when he advocated for racial equality for Black people in America.

17 Likes

Statement and analysis of Assange isolation from the former Ecuadorian consul (until this year) in London, who helped rescue Edward Snowden:
https://t.co/hOZLzxshAv (Google translate from Spanish)

He has Ecuadorian citizenship.

They could end this by granting him diplomatic status- then recalling him to Ecuador. And then revoking his diplomatic status.

Or just boot him.

8 Likes
12 Likes

Well this suggests otherwise and the treaty was a cause celebre in the UK for some time.

The treaty has been claimed to be one-sided[3] because it allows the US to extradite UK citizens and others for offences committed against US law, even though the alleged offence may have been committed in the UK by a person living and working in the UK (see for example the NatWest Three), and there being no reciprocal right; and issues about the level of proof required being less to extradite from the UK to the US rather than vice versa.[4]

Among other provisions Part 2 of the Act: Extradition to category 2 territories (non-European Arrest warrant territories) removed the requirement on the USA to provide prima facie evidence in extraditions from the UK, requiring instead only reasonable suspicion .[

So, yes, easier from UK.

4 Likes

Requiring four years of protracted legal battles (as in the case you mention) does not seem to me to qualify as ‘easy’.

Assange himself chose the UK to come to after fleeing the rape charges in Sweden, at a time where he was already unpopular with the US government, and that treaty has been in existence for some time. I don’t see what has particularly changed since then - if being in the UK was so very dangerous for him, why come here in the first place? Note that the US has not at any time applied for his extradition since he arrived.

1 Like

Roger Stone.

4 Likes

And it’s certain possible that he’s done heroic things and villainous things AND that he’s inconvenienced a number of people who would like to see him dead and/or locked up (in part because he may continue to inconvenience them otherwise) and have few scruples in obtaining their ends (not the least of which being character assassination).

I won’t pretend to know what is and isn’t true, but the Swedish charges were certain convenient to his enemies.

He wildly exaggerates his role even in that. There was a team of people with whom he developed it, and reportedly some of them can’t stand him either.

8 Likes

I hope not. We have more than enough white supremacists in the US already.

7 Likes

I’m quite sure it is. But have you seen Swedish prisons?

2 Likes

That same document (the scribd one) says that a few days later Finne’s boss, the director of public prosecutions, reinstituted the case, in part at the urging of the two victims. Please argue in good faith. #IBelieveThem

9 Likes

It’s like a rational inverse image of the US’s demented prison system.

6 Likes

Apparently they tried to do that: Julian Assange’s bid for diplomatic status rejected by Britain | Julian Assange | The Guardian

4 Likes

Size can be flexible- up to a shipping container.

Or he could just leave.

In the 1984 Dikko Affair, a former Nigerian government minister, Umaru Dikko, was kidnapped and placed in a shipping crate in an attempt to transport him from the United Kingdom back to Nigeria for trial.[4] However, it was not marked as a diplomatic bag, which allowed British customs to open it.[

• In 1964, a Moroccan-born Israeli double agent named Mordechai Ben Masoud Louk (also known as Josef Dahan) was drugged, bound, and placed in a diplomatic mailing crate at the EgyptianEmbassy in Rome, but was rescued by Italian authorities.[4] The box that he had been sealed into “had almost certainly been used before for human cargo,”[5]including possibly for an Egyptian military official who had defected to Italy several years before but then disappeared without a trace before reappearing under Egyptian custody and facing trial.
5 Likes

Capitalism+atheism+feminism = sterility = migration. EU birthrate = 1.6. Replacement = 2.1. Merkel, May, Macron, Gentiloni all childless.

– J. Assange

9 Likes

I wondered if that was why they send 15 people with a bone saw. 15 “diplomatic” bags on the flight back to KSA.

1 Like