Asshole motorist repeatedly attempts to block motorcycles

Bit tricky to tell since it was shot vertically and zoomed in and stabilized. It did have the feel of somebody holding out the phone off to the side but you are probably right.

I guess I just find footage shot from a car that isn’t a dash cam a bit of a cringe.

Where the hell do you live? In a DMX video?

5 Likes

I don’t see your point. I said opening your door to block/obstruct or hurt a motorcycle is obviously wrong. Perhaps because I’ve had a few negative run ins with cyclists I’m a bit anti bike.
I had a motorcycle pass too close while “lane splitting” and get his pegs caught on a car I was riding in with my infant son. The rider fled the scene and my father in law was hit with points on his license (due to the damage on car, later only recinded because we had a witness that was willing to swear out an affidavit…it still cost him 500 bucks) and a vt state trooper almost drew on my fucking beagle because the accident had him wound up and he barked at the trooper.

2 Likes

That’s because human-powered vehicles, pedestrians, and horses can’t maintain the minimum speed. Motorcycles below a minimum displacement (usually 125cc or 150cc) are banned for the same reason.

8 Likes

You’re bizarrely defensive. I was agreeing with you - dooring makes no
sense for anyone.

The situation you described is also obviously wrong, and there are indeed
laws that agree - hit and run is a misdemeanor or felony, for example. The
other details – you being in the car with your infant son, the issue with
the state trooper and your beagle – are certainly good reasons to be extra
upset, but the only thing in your story that is explicitly about a
motorcycle is also something that could just as easily happened with
another car.

1 Like

I could not tell because they obscured the license plate but could it be that the driver was from out of state and was simply ignorant of the legality of Lane Splitting? I am from Wa state and the first time I drove in CA we were headed to the beach from Costa Mesa. The first time a bike did that it startled the hell out of me and my knee jerk reaction was to be indignant of what I perceived to be dangerous behavior.

My brother who was in the car with me told me to chill that it was perfectly legal

I chilled

3 Likes

Does it make you a police officer? No? Then stop trying to kill others by vigilante justice.

4 Likes

Chilling is good.

When driving out-of-state, I think, “When in Rome…”

5 Likes

She did mention “we”, so apparently there was someone else in the vehicle.

2 Likes

Fair enough as long as we can ban cars from all surface streets. But seriously, the right to travel the roads using a common conveyance is older than this nation. Still, I see people saying things like your statement more and more these days. It’s almost as if some authoritarian self centered narcissist with no regard for the lives and freedoms of others is running things as though the 80’s cult of ‘Me’ hasn’t been exposed as the toxic crap that it is.

14 Likes

It doesn’t matter if you are against it. It is legal. If you don’t like it, petition to change the law.

7 Likes

16 Likes

So by your logic then, because of douchebaggery by one member of a group, all members of the group should be held accountable. Therefore, since the driver in this video is clearly a douchebag, we should then remove all car drivers from interstates.

6 Likes

As a survivor of a vehicular assault, I wish more people understood that cars were deadly machines and conducted themselves accordingly. American car culture infuriate me.

7 Likes

oh yeah I am not advocating the behavior, just trying to add a bit of perspective

1 Like

No individual pebble thinks it is responsible for the landslide.

1 Like

California Law regarding Lane Splitting
VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
CHAPTER 3. Driving, Overtaking, and Passing [21650 - 21759] ( Chapter 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) For the purposes of this section, “lane splitting” means driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including on both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways.
(b) The Department of the California Highway Patrol may develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting in a manner that would ensure the safety of the motorcyclist and the drivers and passengers of the surrounding vehicles.
© In developing guidelines pursuant to this section, the department shall consult with agencies and organizations with an interest in road safety and motorcyclist behavior, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
(1) The Department of Motor Vehicles.
(2) The Department of Transportation.
(3) The Office of Traffic Safety.
(4) A motorcycle organization focused on motorcyclist safety.
(Added by Stats. 2016, Ch. 141, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2017.)

California Law regarding Impeding Traffic
VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
CHAPTER 7. Speed Laws [22348 - 22413] ( Chapter 7 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 2. Other Speed Laws [22400 - 22413] ( Article 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.
Subdivision (b) of this section shall apply only to vehicles subject to registration.
(Amended by Stats. 1979, Ch. 364.)

California Law regarding "Dooring"
VEHICLE CODE - VEH

CHAPTER 9. Stopping, Standing, and Parking [22500 - 22526] ( Chapter 9 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.
(Amended by Stats. 1963, Ch. 162.)

2 Likes

I have met a number of people from other states where this is illegal get emotionally triggered by lane splitting. I have reminded them that it is perfectly legal here but they were still very upset by it.

shrug

This. I have no idea if it is legal or not in NC and the only time I’ve ever witnessed it was in stopped (like seriously stopped, multi lane accident) traffic. Even then we are talking moving at no more than 10mph. I mean I’ve had the asshole blow by at +120 and weave between me and another car, but that’s less lane splitting and more death wishing. Traffic here rarely creeps, either you are doing +10 over the limit or stop and go…

(Even stop and go I think people get pretty bent out of shape if a motorcycle did it…but I drive a manual so I just stick it in the appropriate gear and cruise - fuck all those asshole riding my bumper, I’m not burning up a clutch just to maintain bumper contact with the person playing stop and go in front of me.)

1 Like

Hey @jlw when you are driving along splitting lanes, is it a useful thing for me to nudge over in my lane, even a few inches – for purposes of your safety or even just to signal that I see you – or is that largely a useless gesture? It’s something I do, but I don’t know if it actually does you as a motorcyclist any good.

6 Likes