Asst. police chief awarded $1.52 million for hanging Nazi symbol on office door

Originally published at: Asst. police chief awarded $1.52 million for hanging Nazi symbol on office door | Boing Boing

5 Likes

And yet…

34 Likes

Let’s be clear here, he wasn’t “awarded” anything.

The city agreed to pay him.

They made the decision. No one forced them.

They may be right to think this is a better outcome than trying to fight but they could have stuck to their guns.

20 Likes

Kent is not Seattle. It’s worse here but somewhat more well-hidden.

4 Likes

“Had the city simply fired him, officials said, he likely would have won back his job”
Still sounds like a better solution to me.
So you fire him for every nazi incident. Maybe it will stick the third time.
The problem here seems to be that they first suspended him and then fired him on top of that.
So, just fire him the next time.

11 Likes

Yeah this raised eyebrows

On another note

Where you from?
Kent.
Where?
Kent in Washington
Where?
Fine Seattle
Oh Love it there.

Kent is not Seattle it is Kent and therefore not a Seattle Police Department

1 Like

Real Unions are great. Police Unions are the WORST. Protecting the worst officers, at all costs.

16 Likes

Cops in Kent

Boyz on the Hood in Kent

3 Likes

As a fossilized resident of Seattle i get a brief blather on this

The moral of the story is that white supremacists in the police force now have an easy way to make a quick million bucks — at least for those who live in Washington state.

nah… that’s a moral, but not the moral to this smelly little story. This is a classic case of lawyers, and panicky politicians and legal maneuvers winning their client’s case on a technicality. And that’s all wadded-up under sentences like these:

The city’s attempt to essentially discipline Kammerzell a second time led to a dispute between his lawyers and the city that appeared headed for litigation. But interim city Chief Administrative Officer Arthur “Pat” Fitzpatrick, who is also the city attorney, said Friday the city had resolved the matter through negotiation…

Essentially this @#$ jerk won a too-@#$-big award because there was multiple conflicting actions made against him. He won because one political officer did one thing to him and then later another did something which made the previous action an actionable breach of ‘contract’

4 Likes

I’ve live most of my life outside of a larger metro area, so I always just say “outside of_”.

5 Likes

They could save a wad of cash by convincing the police to just pretend Kammerzell is a black person selling loose cigarettes…

2 Likes

amazon GIF by The Man in the High Castle

4 Likes

I know that a lot of department’s uniform policies are reasonably fiddly about acceptable rank insignia; I’m a trifle surprised that a heavily procedural defense didn’t run into more trouble not because he was acting like a nazi; but because he was acting like a nazi well above his rank in the department.

5 Likes

Time for a coworker to sue him for $1.53M for creating a hostile work environment?

13 Likes

And they drain big cities of funds that would be much better used elsewhere. Ex: NYC. Talk about gold-plated retirement packages. Complete 20 years of service; get 50% of salary pension.

1 Like

Fuckin Auburn. Nobody likes Auburn.

Edit: And let’s not forget Wally’s Proud Boy Chowder House just down the way in Buckley.

Edit 2: the hits just keep on coming. A father and two sons in Puyallup, who all work for the government btw, were just arrested for Jan 6. Maybe Tahoma could do us all a favor and blow already.

1 Like

i don’t see that firing would be a conflicting action from suspension in any sort of logical sense. firing is a pretty reasonable extension of suspension. look, we might need to do something about you, go away for a while. okay, now don’t come back

maybe the union contact says differently. but it seems it’d be worth it in the long run to contest that if so.

4 Likes

I wonder how long that plaque was there before anyone noticed?
It seems almost like truth in advertising.

Seems like the city attorney should have been able to prevent this fiasco from happening in the first place.

Too bad they didn’t demand to have a swastika cut into the Nazis forehead.

Two words: stolen valor

I think the problem here is that the suspension wasn’t a “you’re suspended while we consider what else to do/investigate” but a “here is your punishment - you’re going on unpaid leave for x weeks”.

Then later, they decided “Actually, you’re fired”.

They should have just fired him in the first place rather than give him a initial slap on the wrist, then fired him.

2 Likes