Asst. police chief awarded $1.52 million for hanging Nazi symbol on office door

This is how I know America is fucked.

This may be flippant, but how much irony is in the name of this $%#@, er gentleman. His name translates into “cell chamber” from German. Did he have it legally changed? Or did he just pick his Nazi ideology to match his name? One wonders…

1 Like

Previously on BoingBoing:

1 Like

my point was that firing is not incompatible with suspension. if they had given him a big bonus or a promotion and then fired him: that would be incompatible.

i do understand that it isn’t fair for an employer to come back ten years later and say, remember that stapler you stole that we made you pay us back for? you’re fired. this isn’t that. ( oto, life isn’t fair and most employers can actually do exactly that. they don’t even need a reason at all. )

2 Likes

Well, it kinda is. It’s an employer telling an employee, “You did something wrong. This is the punishment we are imposing. That is the end of the matter.”

And then imposing another penalty.

Regardless, I’m pretty sure that there was some middle ground available between, “oh, dear, we can’t do anything” and “we have to pay him $1.52 million dollars to go away”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.