Astonishing encounter with a nearly human-size jellyfish

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/15/astonishing-encounter-with-a-h.html

8 Likes

And hheeerreess the jellyfish!

mitt-romney-laughing

20 Likes

10 Likes

Having agar io flashbacks here.

Were any jellyfish harmed? Asking for a friend…

Well, this is an old nightmare- getting absorbed by a giant jellyfish, cell by cell, as each cell pokes one of mine, and consumes it.

4 Likes

That diver is a lot closer to it than I would want to be.

3 Likes

Don’t step on it!

2 Likes

Dammit you beat me to it

1 Like

And I thought the United States was the only country with a giant orange creature with no brain.

5 Likes

Did you happen to see John Carpenter’s The Thing at an early age, by any chance?

2 Likes

Hmm, I was a bit older by the time that came out. Grew up inland, love the ocean now … except… one moment I’m feeling all one-with-nature, etc, the next moment I’m getting stung, freaking out, suppressing a panic.

2 Likes

This picture was the centre-page spread in my newspaper this morning. (The Guardian, of course!) It was wonderful. My wife and I both boggled at it.
Tangentially - It was 2016 (I think) when a large number of squid were observed off the south coast of England. This was, co-incidentally, about a hundred years since H.G. Wells published a story called “The Sea Raiders” which was about (yes, really) a large number of squid being observed (and, naturally, eating people) off the south coast of England. Had Wells been alive today, we would be reading a story about giant jellyfish…

1 Like

sigh I am reminded that with ocean acidification and warming, it is predicted that jellyfish will be all that is left in most of the ocean. So perhaps giant jellyfish will take over once the whales have all died off.

1 Like

They are so beautiful in the water though and most won’t sting worse than a nettle.

And now overfishing has reduced their predators there more of them, so tuck in

I was about to post something similar, Climate Change and jellyfish go well together.

Screen%20Shot%2016

1 Like

Jellyfish websites probably have headlines about a jellyfish sized person being spotted.

1 Like

Yes, it’s beautiful. Majestic, even.

But no.

Not at all.

Thank you.

No.

2 Likes
2 Likes