Astonishing new photo of Martian moon Deimos reveals most detail ever seen

Originally published at: Astonishing new photo of Martian moon Deimos reveals most detail ever seen | Boing Boing

7 Likes

This is an interesting update about the origins of Deimos, but my takeaway for today (perhaps an embarrassment for me) is the the UAE has a space program…

12 Likes

That moon sure does look like its mooning mars quite well

8 Likes

it’s kind of a joint effort:

it was assembled in the us ( with emirati and american engineers ) and launched from japan.

there are also two emirati astronauts:

though not sure why they don’t get their own neologism

7 Likes

Look again.The “moon” is clearly a wad of Silly Putty. Another government fake job! Do your research, sheeple!

2 Likes

And it’s clearly a bum. Whoever said the creator had no sense of humour?

5 Likes

Yep. It’s a bum.

I wonder what the United Arab Emirates would say to that.

7 Likes

(wiki)

The spacecraft is a Mars orbiter for studying the Martian atmosphere and climate. It was built by a joint Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP)/Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) team at the University of Colorado Boulder with support from Arizona State University (ASU) and the University of California, Berkeley.[17][18][19][20] The Hope probe was launched from Japan by a Japanese H-IIA launch vehicle, built and operated by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) on 19 July 2020 and arrived at Mars on 9 February 2021.[21][18] It became the first mission to Mars by any West Asian, Arab or Muslim-majority country.[22] The UAE Space Agency (UAESA) and the Indian Space Research Organization set up a joint working group to assist UAESA in the Emirates Mars Mission.[23]

3 Likes

Thanks! (and to @gatto as well) always cool to see scientists collaborating like this. Also very fun to see what Arabic writing looks like when filtered through SPACE FONT MODE

6 Likes

Haven’t seen a close-up like that since that one episode of The Expanse.

5 Likes

How is this possible? Deimos’ orbit has a semi-major axis of 23,460 km

8 Likes

The most detailed photo of Deimos, it was taken just 100km above the surface of Mars.

100km above the surface of Deimos surely - Mars is in the background of the image and it’s much bigger than… oh let’s let Ted explain it:

12 Likes

Good catch. Very… asstoot.

6 Likes

Good question. No verified ‘smoking guns’ yet, but I’ve been seeing graphics of “Mars as seen from Deimos” that look similar to this:

And then there’s this Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter image from 2009. To me it looks just as revealing and with at least as much detail.

4 Likes

Correct. From the linked article:

4 Likes

“It’s mooning us!”

3 Likes

Any GOP “support” may be more in the form of allowing anti-Biden conspiracy theories to run free without corrections or criticisms, while

Is that a wisecrack!?

4 Likes
3 Likes

The hurtling moons of Barsoom!

whel01

4 Likes

All you need to have “a space program” nowadays is lots of money and CAD. There are private contractors all over the world now that will build and launch whatever you want.

3 Likes