Astronaut pays homage to Star Trek’s most famous female captain

I didn’t like Voyager, but I liked the character of Captain Janeway. Of the different captains, I think she was the one best suited to hold the crew together to their purpose and principles over the long, difficult voyage.

2 Likes

I wasn’t. But still not sure I follow?

In this context, it looks as though you are saying “well, she doesn’t have to pick a captain of her own gender as a personal hero, she can pick a captain of the opposite gender as her personal a hero, even though all the men don’t have to do that, because all of the other captains are men, and the only female captain out there sucks”

If this is not what you meant, then you need to explain what you did mean, and I apologize.

@chgoliz – If I’m mansplaining, white knighting, or just being an intrusive dick – feel free to tell me off. It’s not like it’s my birthday or anything!

1 Like

I can’t believe anyone would complain about Captain Hepburn when fucking Neelix was there stinking up every single series. At least they got rid of Kes eventually.

On topic - awesome photo.

3 Likes

Ah, didn’t think of it like that. Sorry 'bout that.
I was more thinking that if there can be male Sailor Moons etc, there sure can be a female Picard. Besides, all the star trek captains tend to be more defined by their personalities and actions rather than their genders, it being a utopia and all.

PS: Think there is at least a canon female captain Kirk in the Star Trek comics, one of them alternate universe things, if I remember right.

3 Likes

We certainly saw other captains (and admirals) who are women in Star Trek, but they only appeared on screen briefly. And even at that, men far outnumbered women.

1 Like

You have my apologies. Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

Mansplaining would be explaining to ME why a woman should just automatically choose a man as a personal hero.

White knighting would be riding in and covering for me because I somehow couldn’t possibly do it myself.

Intrusive dick means two or more of us were having a perfectly fine interaction until you decide to step into the middle of it.

Seems to me you used my post in juxtaposition to @Norzhi’s post to ask that poster what s/he meant. That would be normal communication, in my book.

But what do I know? I’m just a woman, after all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Glad to hear you explain your response more. Much more understandable now.

1 Like

No, -trix is the feminine suffix equivalent to -tor. Aviator, Aviatrix; Dominator, Dominatrix; Executor, Executrix; Imperator, Imperatrix.

Also, astronaut is from two Greek roots, whereas aviator/trix &c. are from Latin.

1 Like

Hasn’t every show since TOS had its own particular Neelix? TNG had Wesley Crusher, DS9 had Quark, Enterprise had that theme song.

I know a few female pilots who like the aviatrix title better, it has a ring to it.
OTOH doctor and doctette, fireman and firewoman, it just sounds stupid so gender neutral probably makes more sense for egalitarianism and sanity.
Especially considering that most of flying is strapping a machine to your back and letting it do nearly all of the physical work, no reason for separate categories by sex, even for world records.
As for space station cosplay…
When I am on a bike I pretend I am in a motorcycle
when I am on a motorcycle I pretend I am in a plane
when I am flying a plane I pretend it is a jet
when I fly a jet I pretend it is a fighter plane
were I to fly a supersonic fighter I would pretend it was a SR-71
were I to fly a SR-71 I would pretend it was a spacecraft
were I to fly into LEO I would pretend I was on the way to the moon
on way to moon, mars, then interstellar, beyond sci-fi and fantasy
there is always room for imagination

yeah, I know – I just like the letter “x”. It doesn’t get used so much, which is a pity. One of my favorite words is “aviatrix” – and every picture of aviatrix I ever saw looked like they were pretty happy they didn’t have to share the name with men. But that’s just me being silly.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=374

5 Likes

Properly? no.
-trix only makes -tor more feminine.
executrix, dominatrix, aviatrix, executrix.

Does astronaut end with a -tor? No, it does not.

nauta is a latin word meaning sailor. Like poeta, it is a first declension “masculine” noun. Although there is no specifically feminine for nauta, there is one for poeta: poetria. So pirata, piratria, nauta, nautria.

Thus, if we used astronauta as a term, we might be able to use astronautria as a diminutive. But we don’t. It’s a little silly.

Side note: I have actually seen authoress freely and ironically adopted.

yeah, I know – I just like the letter “x”. It doesn’t get used so much, which is a pity.

1960 - Science: From Aviatrix to Astronautrix

1998 - Pioneer ‘Astronautrix’ Aims High

2005 -

2013 - Astronautrix, astronette, feminaut, space girl…

1 Like

I suppose you might get some diminutives from media coverage of Valentina Tereshkova, who in 1963 scored some much needed propaganda points for Mother Russia.

Why are you referring to a feminine (if cross-lingua) ending as a diminutive?

Why not the other way around?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.