Astronaut shows what happens when you drop a hammer and feather at the same time on the moon

Rosencrantz… or Guildenstern would have enjoyed this.

4 Likes

“So, we’ll drop these at the same time and see what happens.”
(feather hits first by a wide margin)
“Huh… that’s… very strange, I…”
(zombie skeleton of Galileo bursts out from below the moon’s surface)
Zombie Galileo: Fools! At last the incantation is complete! Arise, my army of the dead! NOW IS OUR TIME!

4 Likes

What, one experiment? They need to drop them at least a dozen times (with proper statistics) before I can even begin to accept it.

2 Likes

And none of that “I’ll drop-em both at the same time!” stuff. Humans are imperfect bio-machines. We need a robot that hasn’t been hacked, and accurate velocity measurement. I should get a grant.

2 Likes
5 Likes

That’s why you don’t use Mjölnir for this experiment.

4 Likes

There’s a lot of pedantry going on here, for an experiment with one significant digit of precision.

4 Likes

I wish the video went on for a bit longer, so we could see how he tried to pick the hammer back up.

4 Likes

I wonder if that falcon’s feather is still up there, on the moon!

1 Like

Those are some impressive doors!

1 Like

One of the reasons why, when the great Stanley Kubrick was asked to help with faking the moon landings, he refused until NASA agreed to let him shoot on location.

3 Likes

Watch the Brian Cox clip below, where they replicate the test in a vacuum chamber. Even though the outcome is never in doubt, everyone seems honestly thrilled to have it playing out before their very eyes. It’s wonderful.

4 Likes

Get this man a picker upper.

2 Likes

The difference is bigger when you drop them on opposite sides of the moon.
But you have to bring a flashlight.

Don’t forget to push the red button at the end of each comic!

“Sharks are way too rare in this part of the world to be about to eat me.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.