At CBS, Sumner Redstone is out and Les Moonves is in

[Read the post]

I would shoot myself before I’d fall into such a low and undignified state. Fortunately there’s not much chance that I’ll have to run CBS.

3 Likes

Can you indicate which really old white guy is which?

3 Likes

I’m guessing the dude on the left isn’t 92.

I’m struggling to grasp why I should care about this particular bit of news.

5 Likes

I read it as a commentary on old media and the technophobic fossils who run it. Sort of like the time before Gorbachev took over the USSR, when the Soviets cycled through I forget how many leaders desperately trying to find someone who a) was a legit member of the old guard and b) was not obviously overdue for retirement…

1 Like

Yeah, seems like pretty ordinary maneuvering for the board of a major media conglomerate. It’s pretty awful how much influence half a dozen such companies wield, but I don’t think it makes a whole lot of difference who’s the chairperson. Redstone himself acquired Viacom through a hostile takeover.

As far as I’m concerned, the only really interesting thing about the guy is that he was a code-breaker for the Allies in WWII. Finished his undergrad at Harvard in three years. Guy was no slouch. I guess if there’s something to care about in this article it’s the story of how hard it is for someone of advanced years accustomed to having a keen mind to step away from their career when that mind is no longer sharp enough to do the job. That he’s a billionaire and the career is media mogul is almost incidental to me.

1 Like
1 Like

Late stage capitalism!

1 Like

At least it will now be run by someone who knows what century it is.

1 Like

Barring the off-by-one error endemic to corporate slobs like Moonves.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.